HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Oral Anxiety

(1/1)

alisond:
Hi,
My boyfriend and I broke up 3 months ago but recently reconciled, before we broke up he was definitely HIV negative. However I am aware that he has had sex with other people since we broke up. Since getting back together we have always had protected vaginal sex but unprotected oral sex with ejaculation in my mouth. 12 days after the unprotected oral, I came down with a sore throat, white spots on my tonsils and a fever. As we were only apart for three months, if he was infected in that time, he would probably have a very high viral load. I am extremely anxious and worried but do I actually have anything to be worried about in terms of HIV?

Jeff G:
Hi Alisond . You didn't have a risk for HIV and move on from your worries .

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care checkup, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine checkups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

alisond:
Thank you Jeff, that makes me feel a lot better!

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: alisond on May 10, 2013, 02:43:12 PM ---Thank you Jeff, that makes me feel a lot better!

--- End quote ---

You are most welcome , we take what we do here very seriously and its among of our goals is to prevent as well as catch HIV exposures so that it can be treated , so if you were at risk we would not have hesitated to tell you .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version