Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

Completely Humbled By The Courage And Strength Of Indidviduals On POZ

<< < (2/3) > >>

humbleobserver:

--- Quote from: ARMANDO on May 01, 2013, 06:54:49 AM ---hey humble,it's nice to know that someone is actually listening to our stories and that we are just not swept under the carpet as another statistic.

--- End quote ---

Armando it's sad that humanity is so judgmental and quick to make rash conclusions they believe to be true before taking the time to research and truly understand a situation. I really want to do something to help the LGBT individuals who are victims of HIV/AIDS. I'm trying to start a drive to make money for individuals suffering with this disease. I'm looking for advice on the best way of making sure the proceeds go to the right place. I work for a big corp that is heavily involved charity work. I'm trying to talk to my GM to see if we can put together an event or promotion to help raise money and awareness this way as well. He's a wonderful person who really has a passion for charity and I truly believe he will give me the help I need for this cause.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 12:30:35 AM ---Armando it's sad that humanity is so judgmental and quick to make rash conclusions they believe to be true before taking the time to research and truly understand a situation. I really want to do something to help the LGBT individuals who are victims of HIV/AIDS. I'm trying to start a drive to make money for individuals suffering with this disease. I'm looking for advice on the best way of making sure the proceeds go to the right place. I work for a big corp that is heavily involved charity work. I'm trying to talk to my GM to see if we can put together an event or promotion to help raise money and awareness this way as well. He's a wonderful person who really has a passion for charity and I truly believe he will give me the help I need for this cause.

--- End quote ---

There are many organizations that are already doing good work in the areas you say you want to help with , that interest you . I assume you are looking to donate to a good organization and not start your own ?

The Clinton Foundation is a good place to look and so is the Gates Foundation , it makes since to give donations to already existing organizations because they are up and running and legitimate , you wouldn't want to duplicate services and waste money that could be going to a person in need .

Ann:

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 12:30:35 AM ---
I really want to do something to help the LGBT individuals who are victims of HIV/AIDS.

--- End quote ---

Admirable, but do you intend to ignore the straight folks who end up living with hiv? I hope not. One of the reasons this pandemic continues is because of the mistaken belief (or is it wishful thinking?) that hiv only affects GBT populations.

humbleobserver:

--- Quote from: Ann on May 02, 2013, 09:41:17 AM ---Admirable, but do you intend to ignore the straight folks who end up living with hiv? I hope not. One of the reasons this pandemic continues is because of the mistaken belief (or is it wishful thinking?) that hiv only affects GBT populations.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for the confusion Ann, I don't mean to exclude straight folks who ended up with hiv I just feel like I could do something to help the GLBT community and at the same time raise awareness about the misconceptions that HIV and AIDS is predominantly a GLBT thing. I want to show the individuals the togetherness and corporation members amongst the GLBT community have and how they help each other and straight individuals who struggle with the disease.

Basically my first goal is to raise awareness of the misconceptions associated with HIV while raising proceeds. My second and end goal is to show how everyone is in this together, whether poz or neg because we are all human beings. I want to show how the GLBT community have come together since the 1980's when it was thought be the "gay disease'' and no one else was really reaching out to them and they were cast aside. I also want to address a fact that's never given light which is the gov and other organizations see HIV/Aids as something that "Has passed" due to the statistic, <40% of the individuals infected are reaching 50 or older. Because of this lots of funding that have been going into finding a cure has been cut. Even if we aren't able to find a cure we can still create even better meds that are less harmful to the organs in the human body and have less side effects. This ways LTS can live well into their 60's with less adverse effects. And lastly I want to bring attention for the need to raise funding to help people with HIV-2 which effects those from the poorest countries in the world, predominantly in West Africa. Like everyone else these people need help to.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Ann on May 02, 2013, 09:41:17 AM ---Admirable, but do you intend to ignore the straight folks who end up living with hiv? I hope not. One of the reasons this pandemic continues is because of the mistaken belief (or is it wishful thinking?) that hiv only affects GBT populations.

--- End quote ---
don't discourage him, Ann.  ;) according to what some people think (and I include myself), the GLBT community seems to hav the mistaken belief that HIV infection doesn't happen anymore or that it's not something to worry about anymore. In America (and many 1st world countries) HIV is still mostly a GLBT problem that hasn't gone away.

"Where the Hell Is Our Community?" by Michael Kaplan
http://www.poz.com/articles/michael_kaplan_2676_23837.shtml

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 01:08:10 PM ---Because of this lots of funding that have been going into finding a cure has been cut.

--- End quote ---
so not true! More research about a cure is happening now more than ever before. Finally enough science has been learned about HIV to make meaningful roads towards a cure. Now that more good meds are on the market, and fewer pozzies are dying like flies without any treatment, money has been able to be shifted from the immediate goal of finding any medication that helps to actually searching for a cure based on the knowledge about ccr5 receptors, resevoirs, the structure of HIV, and all the new stuff learned about retroviruses etc.

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 01:08:10 PM ---Even if we aren't able to find a cure we can still create even better meds that are less harmful to the organs in the human body and have less side effects. This ways LTS can live well into their 60's with less adverse effects.

--- End quote ---
Side effects of the newer meds generally happen in less than 10%, and often less than 5%, of the patients taking medications. With many drugs and regimes available, side effects aren't near the problem they are now as they were years ago. (for the record, I'm 51, been on meds for 21 yrs, and because I switched to some newer stuff about 5 yrs ago, I have ZERO side effects)

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 01:08:10 PM ---<40% of the individuals infected are reaching 50 or older
This ways LTS can live well into their 60's with less adverse effects.

--- End quote ---
Another untruth! for nearly 10 yrs, studies have been showing that HIV poz people on successful treatment live out a "normal" life span (try 70s and 80s rather than the 60s LOL). I think you must have misread something. The statistic is by 2015 >50% of those living with HIV will be 50 yrs and older.

Why? Two reasons.
1) Older people are still having sex (http://www.thebody.com/content/art6036.html) and getting infected (gay men are still not protecting themselves enough, so young AND older gay men are constantly becoming infected. see the article I referenced to Ann);
2) because the meds have been so damned good, me and my friends from the 80s and 90s aren't dying and living to be 50, 60, 70 and older.

--- Quote from: humbleobserver on May 02, 2013, 01:08:10 PM --- And lastly I want to bring attention for the need to raise funding to help people with HIV-2 which effects those from the poorest countries in the world, predominantly in West Africa. Like everyone else these people need help to.

--- End quote ---
call, write and email Congress and the President asking them to stop cutting the successful PEPFAR program ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version