Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

UK paper reporting Scientists on brink of HIV Cure-

<< < (13/13)

Matts:
I think clinicaltrials.gov answers these questions:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01680094

If I understand it correctly the transcription in the latently infected cells is measured through unspliced HIV-RNA and  the chances in the latent pool through proviral HIV-DNA per 10⁶ CD4+ T-cells or so..

The ART free period should start now,I think that we will know in 3 months if it was a success or another failure.

"Primary Outcome Measures:

Change from baseline in HIV transcription in latently infected CD4+ T-cells as measured by copies of unspliced HIV-RNA in the CD4+ T-cells of HIV-infected patients on suppressive HAART [ Time Frame: Day 1 (before study drug and 2 hours after first dose), Day 2, 5, 10, 15, 24, 29, 38, 43, 52 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Secondary Outcome Measures:

Change from baseline in the size of the latent HIV-reservoir as measured by copies of proviral HIV-DNA per 10⁶ CD4+ T-cells [ Time Frame: 12 and 32 weeks after initiation of study treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
    Change from baseline in the frequency of cells latently infected with replication competent HIV expressed as infectious units per million (IUPM) [ Time Frame: 12 weeks after initiation of study treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Plasma HIV-RNA as measured by the single copy assay [ Time Frame: Day 1 (before study drug and 2 hours after first dose), Day 2, 5, 10, 15, 24, 29, 38, 43, 52, 84, 224 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
    During an optional HAART-interruption study (if performed, see below): 1) Time to viremia >1000 copies/ml; 2) Time to meet criteria to restart HAART [ Time Frame: To be performed upon completion of 32 weeks follow-up based on the below specified criteria ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Upon completion of the study, subjects may be invited to participate in an additional observational study in which HAART will be interrupted to evaluate the effect of study treatment on virological control. Enrolment into this study is optional and conditioned by the following criteria pertaining to the effect of study treatment on the latent HIV-1 reservoir:
        Significant increase in unspliced HIV-RNA during in accordance with the primary endpoint measure
        Profound reduction in reservoir size indicated by >75% decrease in total HIV-DNA/106 CD4+ T-cells or total HIV-DNA below the limit of detection (defined as 5 copies/106 CD4+ T-cells) at week 36
        CD4+ T-cell count >500/mm3

RobbyR:
Hopefully if there is something to this, they can find a way to trick the body and clear the HIV from the blood without having to have a bone marrow transplant, obviously everyone with HIV can't do something that extreme, but maybe it is the start of promising research into drugs that don't merely keep the virus at bay, but actually CURE it once and for all! I do think we have reason to hope more now than in many years past!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version