Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Quitting smoking!

<< < (2/10) > >>

marsss7080:
Hi Philly,
This must be very hard for you to quit. I sympathize with you. I smoked for 23 years. I smoked menthol the worst of all.
I really woke up and smelled the flowers in Sept. of last year (2012) when I was getting all the morning caughing, hacking and breathing stuff and it was getting worse. I have less than 200 CD4's and have been smoking about a pack a WEEK, like 3 or 4 a day for 23 years. I said to myself this is awful what I'm doing to myself and my lungs. Plus I thought about contracting CANCER!
Bottom Line: I went COLD TURKEY. I haven't wanted one since. NOW the smoke smell makes me wanna barf. PLEASE what ever it takes, patches, Chantix?, snapping a rubber band on the wrist, or in my case, COLD TURKEY.
DO IT NOW! Save your life. Your body will thank you.     

Ann:

--- Quote from: marsss7080 on April 26, 2013, 04:17:09 PM ---Hi Philly,
This must be very hard for you to quit. I sympathize with you. I smoked for 23 years. I smoked menthol the worst of all.
I really woke up and smelled the flowers in Sept. of last year (2012) when I was getting all the morning caughing, hacking and breathing stuff and it was getting worse. I have less than 200 CD4's and have been smoking about a pack a WEEK, like 3 or 4 a day for 23 years. I said to myself this is awful what I'm doing to myself and my lungs. Plus I thought about contracting CANCER!
Bottom Line: I went COLD TURKEY. I haven't wanted one since. NOW the smoke smell makes me wanna barf. PLEASE what ever it takes, patches, Chantix?, snapping a rubber band on the wrist, or in my case, COLD TURKEY.
DO IT NOW! Save your life. Your body will thank you.     

--- End quote ---

Mars, I understand you mean well, but as someone who was diagnosed in 2007, you are not permitted to post in the Long Term Survivor's forum. Please don't post in this section of the forums again.

Thank you for your cooperation. :)

Ann

BT65:

--- Quote from: Jeff G on April 26, 2013, 04:02:56 PM ---I agree with the whatever works statement ... I bought one of those electronic cigarette and it just made me want a real cigarette and gave me a rash , so that's why I had to just suck it up and quit the old fashion way ... by being a bitchy old queen for a week .     

--- End quote ---

I still think about smoking the real thing from time to time, but what former smoker doesn't?  I guess I'm fortunate in that the e-cig does not make me crave a real one.  I couldn't go cold turkey, I'd be a real horrible person to be around, and with me when I'm feeling bitchy, I usually turn it inward. 

Philly, I think the other thing that made the difference for me is that I really wanted to quit.  I've tried before when I wasn't totally into it, and it didn't work.  Commitment is also a big part of it.

Jeff G:
I did pass a test last night , sort of a mile stone . I went out with friends last night and although I wanted to smoke after a few drinks I managed to say no way . The bar we were at was smoke free but they have a nice patio that allows smoking . 

Oceanbeach:
I met someone who didn't smoke and instead of starting him smoking, we stopped me smoking.  That was over 5 years ago.  I used the Chantix prescription with 2 refills, bought myself $7.00 presents every day and reminded myself the physical addiction was over, I do not smoke. 

On a lunch break adventure I wanted to see the Picasso that was stolen at that Union Square gallery and replaced.  We were walking past Lefty O'Douls on Geary and he said, "I am so glad we don't smoke."  8)

Oh, the Picasso stolen is the better part of the story.  It was a nice beautiful afternoon, a guy from New York ran into the gallery, took the Picasso and got into a cab.  The Lefty O'Douls cameras got a good picture of his face.

Edited to add... Oops! I thought I was LTS because I have lived with AIDS for 17 years.  I diagnosed in 1996 and don't qualify to be here.  Please disregard anything I may have said  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version