Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Reactive

<< < (3/4) > >>

onelife:
Jkinati2: You are awesome! Your sincere wishes are touching.

No word from the doctor yet on the confirmation results. But they did some blood work on last Wednesday and the results are out.  Here are the T-level counts:

CD4 count 380
CD8 count 1731 (range is 193 to 685)
CD4/ CD8 ratio 0.2
T lymphocyte count, blood, total 2550

onelife:
I know there is a correlation between HIV and CD4/8. I just don't know what to make of it.

buginme2:

--- Quote from: onelife on April 22, 2013, 07:29:30 PM ---I know there is a correlation between HIV and CD4/8. I just don't know what to make of it.

--- End quote ---

HIV infection causes a drop in your cd4 count.  A normal count is about 500-1500.
When that happens the body responds by fighting back, this can lead to an increase in your cd8 count.

The cd4/cd8 ratio is used to see the correlation between cd4 and cd8 counts.  A normal ratio is greater than 1.0 (meaning more cd4 cells than cd8 cells) A ratio of less than 0.9 is common in positive people (showing more cd8 cells than cd4 cells) the significance of it isn't really known.  It shows the body is in an inflammatory state most likely due to fighting off the HIV.

After you start treatment you will see that your cd4 count will start to rise and your cd8 count will drop.  Your cd4/8 ratio will increase and will get closer and closer to 1.0.

onelife:
Thanks for the clear explanation buginme2. Very useful.

The Elisa and blot results are out. I am positive.

buginme2:
Sorry to hear about the positive result on the blot. 

It will take some time to get used to being positive, but you will, and things will be ok.  You are fortunate to be living in Boston and getting care there.   There are some great medical facilities in Boston. 

Based on the lab results you posted you will be starting treatment shortly.  First they will do a genotype test to see if the HIV you acquired is resistant to any current meds.  They will also do a viral load test to see how much virus they can measure.  Once they get those results they will prescribe a medication.  Depending on those results it's likely your medication will be one pill a day.  Very easy.  And don't worry, the medication today have very few side effects.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version