Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Reactive

(1/4) > >>

onelife:
Hello all,

It has been an emotional roller coaster since Wednesday (April 17, 2013) that my HIV rapid test came out to be reactive. I have no words to describe what I am feeling right now - I am doing my best to appear calm and normal in front of others but I am in a terrible state right now. I can't sleep or concentrate or cry. I haven't told this to anyone yet and I don't know what to do. All my life is seems to be washing away.

The doctor ordered the confirmatory test and said the results should take a week to come back. I am scared, tired, drained, angry, sad, full of shame and guilt. Please help me. I don't know what to do.

Jeff G:
Hi Life and welcome to the forum . We can still hope for a negative confirmatory result but I can promise you that if you do test HIV Positive all is not lost and what you are feeling will get better in time .

I have been poz 30 years now but one thing we all have in common was that day we found out our status . Its natural for you to be feeling as you are , I do understand .

You will find that this site will be here for you and you will always have a place to come and vent , get support or information . I'm sorry you are having this to deal with but at least you are not alone , not by a long shot .   

onelife:
Thank you Jeff for the kind message.

Regarding the confirmatory test, the doctor said out very blatantly that the chances are "very rare" for a false negative. I will keep you posted as and when I hear back from the doctor.

Would you have any tips/suggestions on what I should before the results come out and after the results come out?

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: onelife on April 21, 2013, 04:33:54 PM ---Thank you Jeff for the kind message.

Regarding the confirmatory test, the doctor said out very blatantly that the chances are "very rare" for a false negative. I will keep you posted as and when I hear back from the doctor.

Would you have any tips/suggestions on what I should before the results come out and after the results come out?

--- End quote ---

I would try as hard as it may be to find things to do that can keep you from dwelling on what ifs and negative thoughts until your you get the results confirmed .

If your test comes back positive you must remind your self that a positive diagnosis dosent mean you are going to get sick or decline rapidly . With todays treatments and the fact that you know to be vigilant with your health means you most likely will never suffer like some people do that find out they are POZ when they are in the hospital with pneumonia or worse .

Either way you are going to be OK .

May I ask you for a bit more of your story of how you wound up here talking to me on a beautiful spring day ?

Jmarksto:
Hey Onelife;  Sorry you are here, but welcome.

I was diagnosed 10 months ago - and I was on that same emotional roller coaster, not sleeping or eating.  All I could think of was the diagnosis and I had to try to keep my life in order.

I came here and found some very good advice - and as simple and basic as it sounds, it is true.  The advice was to take a deep breath, try and relax, try to do something good for yourself, and most of all know that with the proper medical treatment things are going to be ok -- in the words of my doctor "HIV is manageable". One person told me that my life would not change that much at all.

I am only 10 months in, and things are much, much, much better - I am much more educated on the disease, I am on treatment, and I know that with proper management I am going to live a full productive life.

One thing that also helped me was seeing a counselor who addresses the issues of HIV in his practice.  I know many others on the board have benefited from support groups.

Hang in there, I know what the roller coaster ride feels like, it will get much, much easier with time.

JM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version