HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

protected intercourse with HIV positive man

(1/1)

greeneyes80:
 have a few questions, I have been seeing someone for the last few months, but a friend of mine came over who I have known for many years we decided two nights ago to have intercourse and used a condom both times. We did not do anything with out protection. The reason I am emailing you is because he is HIV positive but his viral load is at 74 copies and his CD4 is 461. He is on antiviral medications and takes them regularily. He has his blood tested every 3 months and has never trasmitted the infection to anyone else he has been intimate with. He was born with HIV, his mother was an IV drug user. He is very healthy and negative for all other STI's. I need to know if my risks are ok, I have been trying to read up on things and different websites say that it was protected sex and my risks are very low just like any other time condoms are used. So I guess I am looking for some answers, should I have a test run? Do I need to be on the anti viral medications or am I ok? I thought I would feel ok since we had talked about this before getting intimate and I knew all about his labs and sexual history. The other man I am with is HIV negative and I don't want to do anything to put him at risk. I am very anxious about all of this, if someone could please give me so insight, I would truly appreciate it.

Jeff G:
The sex you had was protected intercourse so you did NOT have a risk . The condom didn't break so you didn't have low risk , it was no risk and you do not need to test for this incident .

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care checkup, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine checkups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

greeneyes80:
Thank you for your response, just my nerves getting the best of me. I work in healthcare and have done the studies on the virus. I guess when you are faced with it like that all the information you learn goes out the window. So I do not need to tell the man I am dating who is HIV negative anything since I was protected and have no risk? I was last checked for all STD's in December of 2012 all negative and I get tested atleast annually. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it and I am so thankful for a website forum like this.

Jeff G:
You are correct , you did not have a risk and you can put this behind you now .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version