Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

just tested positive

<< < (2/2)

Eldon:
Hello 27years,

It is unfortunate that you have tested HIV positive. However, it is good that you DO now know of your status so that you can take action with your health. It is important for you to have some sort of Support System in place. Coming here to this site is an excellent start for this. As far as your relatives are concerned, they are acting out of concern and it will take some time for them to digest this.

In the meantime, focus on YOU and your health. Start a multi-vitamin , grab some Omega 3, cut out the fast foods, drink plenty of fluids, get you some sort of exercise, keep your stress level to a minimum, and most importantly, get your proper rest. These are some of the things that you can DO to help the situation out.

Aside from that, I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME to the forums. Here (as you may have read) you will find understanding, communication, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered. We have an excellent group of people. With their combined experiences, there is a lot that you can learn. There are lessons here on the site that you can go to and read at your leisure.

Please DO feel free to come from time-to-time to vent whatever is on your mind. People Do listen and they DO answer as well.

Again, WELCOME, and make the BEST of each Day!

Pebby577:
Keep your chin up as things will get better for you down the road.
I have been positive for 20 years now.  My husband is negitive and has been tested many times and Im so thankful he doesn't have this disease.
But you need to help reassure your friends and family who are going to be support for you.  That your not going to be dying anytime soon.  As you have alot of living to do. 
I have found as good medicine is humor, as if you can laugh as some of the dumbest things in life then it will help out with your immune system.
Remember to always let your lolve ones know how much they mean to you.
I always live my life to the fullest each day as I never know what tomorrow may bring.
Having HIV used to mean a death sentence years back, but it isnt that any more as people are living alot longer.
Stay positive and know Im here for you.

c69:
Hi ,
I was diagnosed dec 2005 and started meds May 2006.
So I am also still in the process of getting used to the idea.
I took my Dr's advice to first come to terms with it myself and then disclose and I am glad I did, because this can be a tough thing to deal with, without family and friends also getting involved. You will find some people here on the forums take it very well and I admire them for that, but for me I am the worrying kind.

So now some eleven months later I know and my wife knows, which is enough for the time being.

This is just how I handle it.
But it is different for everyone.
Hang in there !

C69

Joe K:
Hey 27,

Telling your family was the hard part and now you need to let them adjust, the same way that you are adjusting to your new status.  They have the same hopes and fears and each of us deals with traumatic information in different ways.  For some they need to hear assurances that you are fine and others will just pull back for a while, uncertain of exactly how they feel.  These are all normal reactions and as with many things, time will take care of most of it.

The real challenge is to balance your need of support with the needs of support that your family has.  I used to tell my mother that I would tell her if I was really sick.  OK, I lied through my teeth, but she would worry and that is just not a good way to live your life.  You know your family and friends and I do not think you can ever go wrong when you follow either your heart or your guts.

Also you should never underestimate the abilities of others, nor should you assume they will be unable to deal with the news.  You have dealt with the news and so will others.

Your status has shook your family so give it some time for what families do in situations like these.  They listen, they face some of their own fears and life goes on.  Be grateful for the support and enjoy those that bring joy to your life.

HIV or not, life is much too short to ignore the love that surrounds us.  All things in their time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version