Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

please help us

(1/7) > >>

worridwife:
My husband was diagnosed in dec after a 5day stay in hospital discharged as neg but tild to call doc in 3days some blood work was not ready. Ehen we called they told him to go seea doc they started him on atripla. He is doing fine but he says he is neg the test r wrong. I don't want to sound stupid but since I am still neg I recently started to wonder if he is right. Idk maybe its just wishful thinking huh. But would they even start Med like this without being 100000000% sure.....

tednlou2:
If I understand you right, he was discharged without an HIV diagnosis, but then a doc told him he was poz and put him on meds? 

I would think a doc putting someone on meds had the test results.  I would hope any doc would know to do a western blot test.  That is the definitive confirmation.  Since you both are confused, I would call and ask for the western blot results.

All the best,

Ted

worridwife:
3days after he left hospital they told him to go see another doc she put him on atripla and said his vl was over 1 millionan his cd4  is at 240.... is this possible. Thank you for responding. I am going thru a lot right now I am trying to keep my husband healthy and not think to much about how he received this considering we have been together for 10yrs with kids n no drug use.... but that's beside the point again thank u so much for talking to me

tednlou2:

--- Quote from: worridwife on March 28, 2013, 12:15:48 AM ---3days after he left hospital they told him to go see another doc she put him on atripla and said his vl was over 1 millionan his cd4  is at 240.... is this possible. Thank you for responding. I am going thru a lot right now I am trying to keep my husband healthy and not think to much about how he received this considering we have been together for 10yrs with kids n no drug use.... but that's beside the point again thank u so much for talking to me

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is very possible to have those lab results.  It is good he learned his status now, before things got worse.  Your don't say why he was in the hospital, so I am assuming it has to do with having a very weakened immune system.

About how he was infected, even though you don't want your mind to go there-- Many people can be infected for at least a decade without knowing.  A few can go 20 years or more without needing medications, so they only knew they were poz, because they tested.  He could have had this prior to your relationship.  Just because you didn't get infected, does not mean he didn't have the virus all those years.  HIV is actually harder to transmit than other viruses, and harder to transmit vaginally than anally.  You may have just been very fortunate.  Of course, something else may be at play.  But, like you said, it is best to not think about that now.  That can wait. 

So, you've been tested, right?  If you have only been tested once, it would be a good idea to test another time.  I think most say 3 months, after your last unprotected sexual encounter.  I wish him, and you, all the best.  Keep in touch.  The moderators may want you to make future posts in "Someone I care about has HIV."  And, once he's ready, encourage him to use this site, if he wants to.  It sometimes takes a while, before people are ready to discuss it.

Ted

Common_ground:

--- Quote from: worridwife on March 28, 2013, 12:15:48 AM ---3days after he left hospital they told him to go see another doc she put him on atripla and said his vl was over 1 millionan his cd4  is at 240.... is this possible. Thank you for responding. I am going thru a lot right now I am trying to keep my husband healthy and not think to much about how he received this considering we have been together for 10yrs with kids n no drug use.... but that's beside the point again thank u so much for talking to me

--- End quote ---

This sounds like seroconversion to me,which means it is a recent infection not a weakened immune system after years of infection. High VL, relatively low cd4, indeterminate result(?) and the hospital stay all points to that.

What it means to you is that chances are small that your husband passed the virus on to you or someone else, because you found out veeeeery early. Im not just saying this to cheer you up but I think many others here on the forum would make a similar "qualified" guess.

Try not to worry too much, with time things will work out and fall into place. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version