Main Forums > Living With HIV

URGENT!!! European in NYC, meds have run out!

<< < (2/17) > >>

emeraldize:
How was DHL involved as carrier of your meds?  Are you moving here?  Why did you not have your meds in your carry on luggage?  Or am I misunderstanding something??

Okay--I did some looking and DHL has luggage services. I've never had my meds anywhere but in carry on and after this experience you may consider the same.

Hope you get your gear soon. Why have they delayed it?

spiderfromspain:
Actually when I first came to usa about a month ago, I was not in my home town in spain before coming here, where I see my doctor usually.  Time went very fast and I didnt have enough time to arrange medication for longer duration. Nor did I think I would stay on in usa. I was supposed to be just here for 7-8 days. I was then supposed to return to spain but my boyfriend and me immediately decided we would live here together for 3 months. I am here on the european tourist visitor visa. So I asked the pills to be shipped...

In the end this doesn't take care of my problems.

My shipment by dhl got stopped at jfk by customs.

I went to the local aso and they said it takes 7 or 10 days for papers of adap to go through. Although initially they said I need to even be resident here. And thats my situation so far.

Anyway as of now I have given up. I dont think I can do anything until the medications are released by customs or I get them through adap.
:'(

Thank you very much emeraldize and gadawg!
:)

Ann:

--- Quote from: spiderfromspain on April 02, 2013, 08:50:07 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Have you been in touch with customs and explained the situation to them?

Provided you're in the country legally and haven't over-stayed your visa, then one would think they'd be more than happy to release your meds.

If they force you to go on ADAP, then you're suddenly a burden on the system when you didn't need to be.

Have you pointed that out to a customs official?

PS - if you have over-stayed your visa and are in the country illegally, then they might use your med situation as a way to make you go home.

mecch:
A pity noone has helped you out. 

what about

1) Ask someone in Spain to ship you some more.
or
2) Put an announcement on Craigs List and ask for good samaritans to LOAN some pills that will be paid back when you get yours.
or
3) Get your American boyfriend's doctor to figure something out
or
4) Just go home dear, get your meds and some spring clothes, and then fly back to NYC when you're ready to be there for awhile, with your HAART and your honey.  Life is long...   Don't make impetuous decisions that put your health at risk.

emeraldize:

--- Quote from: spiderfromspain on April 02, 2013, 08:50:07 AM ---

Thank you very much emeraldize and gadawg!
:)

--- End quote ---

You're welcome. Thanks for the details. I would think one or two phone calls from the right agency would liberate your meds.

How about calling someone at the Health Department. And, have you called US Customs and Immigration Service ?

Best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version