Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) Up for US Supreme Court Review This Week...

<< < (2/14) > >>

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 25, 2013, 04:35:12 PM ---I seriously hope folks aren't getting their hopes up about a broad ruling.

btw Mitchell, are you married?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I am getting my hopes up for a broad ruling.
How realistic the possibility does not keep my hope from decline.

And no, I am not married but want the choice and equal FEDERAL benefits should I/we decide that it is what we want.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on March 25, 2013, 04:42:40 PM ---
And no, I am not married but want the choice and equal FEDERAL benefits should I/we decide that it is what we want.

--- End quote ---

Patti Stanger would say that you've waited far too long for that wedding ring.

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 25, 2013, 04:46:08 PM ---Patti Stanger would say that you've waited far too long for that wedding ring.

--- End quote ---
Patti hasn't met my "husband".
(just kidding :).)

buginme2:
I'm hoping for a broad ruling, damn right.

DOMA's dust.  I'm predicting a vote of 6 to 3 to overturn it with Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, Ginsberg, Kennedy, and Roberts voting to overturn and Scalia, Thomas, and Alito to keep it.

Prop 8 is more difficult. They could rule on standing which would overturn prop 8 in California but have no effect on the remainder of the country and not even touch on the constitutional issues.  Or they could decide on the merits of it in which case I'd hope for a broad ruling either 5 to 4 or even 6 to 3 with the same justices.

In any event, fingers crossed.

mecch:
Stonewall was 1969.
How has this been fast? Compared to what??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version