Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) Up for US Supreme Court Review This Week...

<< < (12/14) > >>

tednlou2:
I had the complete opposite reaction.  Marriage equality became so much more important, after I tested poz.  I tested poz in the hospital, at a time when I didn't have health insurance.  I mean, I obviously always wanted marriage equality.  However, it wasn't something I spent much time on.  But, having no insurance at the time and not being able to use my partner's insurance, really made me see how this was way more than just planning a wedding. 

Just giving my experience and not discounting your feelings.  I get where you're coming from. 

Oceanbeach:
Being a gay Californian and an honorably discharged veteran, I was questioning the use of the VA home loan because as a person disabled by AIDS, I do not have the income to qualify for this mortgage loan.  I contacted a gay realtor I know who is married, he did not know how the Veterans Administration was dealing with same sex marriage but referred me to the VA lender. 

His VA lender said neither myself nor my partner qualify for the VA loan unless we are married.  My income is too low, he is not a veteran but if we are not married and bring in the marriage license he will write the loan.  I can see my mother saying, "when I see a marriage license".   8)  Have the best day
Michael

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on August 30, 2013, 12:42:42 AM ---I had the complete opposite reaction.  Marriage equality became so much more important, after I tested poz.  I tested poz in the hospital, at a time when I didn't have health insurance.  I mean, I obviously always wanted marriage equality.  However, it wasn't something I spent much time on.  But, having no insurance at the time and not being able to use my partner's insurance, really made me see how this was way more than just planning a wedding. 

Just giving my experience and not discounting your feelings.  I get where you're coming from.

--- End quote ---

Ha, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had a partner and any of this affected me directly. ;)

And it's not really how I feel feel about it when push comes to shove. It's just a vague sense of otherness when I read about these issues lately. I feel more HIV+ than I do gay, I guess you could say. Though I'm pretty darn gay...

Jeff G:
This was interesting . Im not big on debating what would Jesus do on the social issues of the day but it is refreshing to see how many people who self identify as a christian and live outside of the LGBT community have come to see our issue as a basic human rights issue .

http://www.upworthy.com/a-pastor-asks-a-politician-why-he-supports-gay-marriage-it-seems-he-wasnt-prepared-for-his-reply?c=upw1

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Jeff G on September 04, 2013, 02:05:05 PM ---This was interesting . Im not big on debating what would Jesus do on the social issues of the day but it is refreshing to see how many people who self identify as a christian and live outside of the LGBT community have come to see our issue as a basic human rights issue .

http://www.upworthy.com/a-pastor-asks-a-politician-why-he-supports-gay-marriage-it-seems-he-wasnt-prepared-for-his-reply?c=upw1

--- End quote ---

ps- nice avatar Jeff.  :P

Great clip! I wish every politician and every leader of a church who believes that their is something inherently wrong with being gay were required to watch it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version