Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

How far have we gone?

<< < (2/14) > >>

Jmarksto:
Hey Sensual;

I agree with the vast majority of responses so far here - things are going to take some time, and we need to focus on truly living life today.

That said, we are in a very different time today than we were ten years ago. The advancements in technology - from nano-medicine to the humanized mouse to stem cell advancements are the stuff of science fiction just a few years ago. From a scientific or medical technology perspective, I don't believe that the last ten years are a good prediction of the next ten years.

Sadly, even with the scientific advancements I believe it will take 5 - 10 years for a major breakthrough because of limited funding and our protracted process of medical trials. The science is evolving faster than our societal abilities to convert it to clinical benefits.

I think this is supported by the March 6th, 2013 Treatment Action Group report
Funding Scientific Innovation: Global Investments in HIV Treatment Research and Development in 2010 and 2011, which can be found here:

www.treatmentactiongroup.org/hiv

This situation raises an interesting question in my mind - which is where are the best leverage points for HIV advocacy? My personal perspective is that there is a strong humanitarian and financial case to be made to speeding up the development of a cure.

Ok, now off to climb a mountain or do a zip line....

JM

sensual1973:
of course am not waiting for the cure to come next year,but i only wanted to hear the feedback.I do also believe what Jeff G had said is very true,a day at a time and do what we are supposed to do to benefit from this life,if the cure comes then happens all the best,and if it does'nt then my meds are really doing well so far.Best to all.

aaware72:
I been positive since 01/18/13.  I have done a lot of reading and such.  From what I can tell most are not doing research on finding a cure.  Most are working medication to prevent infection and treat infection.  I have read about one company that has changed their focus on these two above item and are now working and researching on medication to root out the virus from where it hides in the body. 

mecch:
I read in the supermarket checkout line that them Frogs cured a dozen people of the AIDS so I guess it happened already and as usual the cure is just for rich and fancy people and famous people like Michael Jordan. They just want the AIDS suckers to keep paying. It's all a racket I tell you.

Ann:

--- Quote from: Jeff G on March 21, 2013, 10:38:25 PM ---
I am interested in living and sharing information about living a full meaningful life despite HIV . Since I have HIV and I dont have a cure I make the best of what I have . 

--- End quote ---

Jeff, I'm down on bended knee. Will you marry me? (I get to be "the man". Deal with it!) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version