Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Test and Treat Program May Contribute to Drug Resistant HIV (LA Study)...

(1/2) > >>

OneTampa:
Excerpt:

"...Widespread use of anti-HIV drugs in Los Angeles County could reduce new AIDS cases by almost 40%, but would also double the number of cases in which the virus had developed a resistance to drug therapy, according to a USC and Rand Corp. study..."

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-hiv-test-and-treat-20130318,0,4164505.story

mecch:
The article doesn't bother to explain how the resistance would happen.

OneTampa:
Clearly it makes sense to treat HIV.  I agree that it would have been helpful to explain with early treatment, how the virus may become drug resistant.

Ann:

--- Quote from: OneTampa on March 20, 2013, 07:44:36 PM ---Clearly it makes sense to treat HIV.  I agree that it would have been helpful to explain with early treatment, how the virus may become drug resistant.

--- End quote ---

I have a feeling it could very possibly be due to non-compliance in people who are very newly diagnosed and struggling to take it all in - and having to remember to take meds every day when they're feeling physically fine, but mentally all fucked up.

OneTampa:

--- Quote from: Ann on March 20, 2013, 07:47:19 PM ---I have a feeling it could very possibly be due to non-compliance in people who are very newly diagnosed and struggling to take it all in - and having to remember to take meds every day when they're feeling physically fine, but mentally all fucked up.

--- End quote ---

Ann, very good point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version