Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

The Sustiva/Atripla Thread

(1/26) > >>

Jeff G:
I think Sustiva and Atripla are potent and well tolerated HIV drugs for many people so my intention on starting this thread is in no way an attempt on my part to get people to change their drug regimen ... if it ain't broke , don't fix it .

For many of LTS finding a drug that didn't make us vomit or shit our pants more than twice a day was a pipe dream and more than we could dream for . When Sustiva became available it was a wonder drug for many of us and the side effects seemed like nothing compared to what we had to choose from before .

The people who didn't tolerate it sometime had very scary and life threatening side effects but we never heard too much from that crowd and Sustiva and eventually Atripla became the darling drug of choice for its makers and doctors alike . I have found that many doctors still push Atripla as a preferred treatment even though we now have many more choices . I personally think that this drug will one day be part of our history and rarely used , if at all .     

I think that since we have so many more choices perhaps the time has for us to have a conversation about our experiences with Atripla while on it and our experiences once we switched to a new combo .

I'm curious about this because I recently switched from Atripla to Intelence / Truvada and had a profound improvement in my sleep and over all mood and energy level when I am awake . I have a chronic pain condition that also has dramatically improved in a short time . Its wonderful to sleep through the night and wake up with a clear head .

I would appreciate hearing from others what they think about this subject and they're own experience with these drugs .   

darryaz:
I personally have had very few side effects from Atripla, and those I do have are fairly easy to manage.  I plan on staying with it as long as I can.

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Jeff G on March 20, 2013, 03:57:45 PM ---I think Sustiva and Atripla are potent and well tolerated HIV drugs for many people so my intention on starting this thread is in no way an attempt on my part to get people to change their drug regimen ... if it ain't broke , don't fix it .

For many of LTS finding a drug that didn't make us vomit or shit our pants more than twice a day was a pipe dream and more than we could dream for . When Sustiva became available it was a wonder drug for many of us and the side effects seemed like nothing compared to what we had to choose from before .

--- End quote ---
My approach was/is the same as far as the "ain't broke, don't fix it" concept.
And yes, those old drugs were nasty in comparison.
I would like to add that my experience with Sustiva/Atripla never really seemed all that bad early on.
After being on Sustiva since about 2001 and Atripla since 2006, the memory and cognitive problems became a larger issue.
These problems were subtle at first but eventually became significant issues in the quality of my life.

I also recently switched 3 weeks ago from Atripla to Truvada/Isentress.
While the Isentress has been giving me some sleep issues (insomnia), my head is still much clearer in the morning.
I still have memory/cognitive problems that I am not sure will ever go away due possibly to the length of time on Sustiva.
It still is a nice change in the morning from what I had accepted as my new normal for all of those years.

I kinda had to push my ID doctor for the change.
It didn't take too much pushing but he did surprise me by commenting that I am the ONLY patient he has taken off of Atripla for this reason (memory/cognitive issues).
After reading SO many people here making comments like "foggy brain", "fuzzy head", "out of it", "my memory is so poor", "shit for brains", etc. , it astounded me that my doctor reacted as he did.

I am glad this topic was framed in this manner.

One thing I would add to the mix would be for those who reply to state the DURATION they have been on Sustiva/ Atripla.
It would be interesting to understand if the length of time has made a difference in how these meds have effected us.

Thanks for the post! :)

Grants Committee:
Just saw my ID doc today... I am going to stay on the Atripla for the time being, but she says there is a new once a day dosage of Isentress?? (I think it may be that) that should be out late this summer and that she and I may want to consider switching me to this....

She just came back from CROI and said that there is still mixed information on Atripla - some studies are showing the cognitive issues, while other studies have shown that people on Atripla have better cognitive functioning than those people on some other regimens....

She said there is a component in stribold (??) that they still don't know enough about and that is why she is a bit reserved in prescribing it.

My experience w/ Atripla has been uneventful to date - but, my doc and I did talk about the fact that I may not necessarily be aware of some of its negative impacts until I switch and see the difference that another med may or may not deliver.

I should have a better idea of whether I will be switching or not come July 3rd or sometime in October.

Til then.... Atripla it remains.

darryaz:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on March 20, 2013, 04:57:25 PM ---One thing I would add to the mix would be for those who reply to state the DURATION they have been on Sustiva/ Atripla.

--- End quote ---

Good idea.  I've been on Atripla since February 2008.

To be fair I do have some cognitive issues, but I've also had meningitis and multiple brain surgeries so it's impossible to determine where the issues really come from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version