HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Oral sex and fingering

(1/2) > >>

Zermithor:
Hi everyone

If this is the wrong forum to post this in or has already been covered then please feel free to move this post.

I recently had sex with a woman who's status I didn't know. We did have protected vaginal sex. I also performed cunnilingus on her as well as fingering her. After I fingered her I put my fingers in my mouth.

What I was wondering is if anyone could please help with the following:

1. Is it possible to get infected by putting my fingers in my mouth after fingering her? I've read here that the probability is very low. At the time, however, my mouth was very dry. I did not have any bleeding sores in my mouth but I do suffer from geographic tongue. These factors have me very worried.

2. Similarly could I get infected from cunnilingus for similar reasons?

I would appreciate any advice on these.

Kind regards,
Zermithor

jkinatl2:
Rather than use my own words, I wil steal them from global moderator Jeff G -

--- Quote ---HIV transmission doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself. The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It's a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage HIV.

HIV is a very fragile virus - literally. Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface. Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. HIV can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having HIV present in the first place. The female secretion where HIV has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more HIV present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it. Once the results of the serodiscordant studies started rolling in, what we know about HIV transmission on the cellular level was validated. The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Period. One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples. That's a lot of nookie.

The symptoms with your health that you are experiencing are in no way indicative of a HIV infection and the only way to know is for you to test again at 3 months post exposure .
You can fully expect a negative result because you never had a risk .

--- End quote ---

Zermithor:
Thank you for your quick response. Was just a bit worried.

I'll probably get a check in a couple of months to make sure.

Ann:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on March 17, 2013, 02:57:44 AM ---Rather than use my own words, I will steal them from global moderator Jeff G -

--- End quote ---

Who stole them from me (with my permission). :) :D ;D :P ;)

Zermithor,

1. No. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. For this reason, any hiv-laden bodily fluids that you get on your hands and transfer to any other part of your body, is no longer viable and able to infect. You also cannot get hiv from objects in the environment, such as sheets, towels, doorknobs, cups, plates, forks, knives, spoons.... or anything else.

2. No. Giving a woman oral sex is NOT a risk, for the reasons you were given above. Getting a blowjob is also not a risk.

The only proven sexual risks for hiv infection are unprotected anal and/or vaginal intercourse. That's it. Wearing a condom during either of these activities will prevent hiv infection.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER FINGERING, PUTTING YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR MOUTH, OR ORAL SEX, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Zermithor:
Thank you for following up Ann. I appreciate the information provided.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version