Main Forums > AIDS Activism

Facebook's targeted advertising

<< < (2/6) > >>

Larsen:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 16, 2013, 02:39:24 PM ---Conversely, do you want to pay for each of those services you use in place of targeted advertising?

--- End quote ---

I don't have a problem with targeted advertising. I do have a problem with targeting PRESUMED (and potentially stigmatising) health conditions and showing that in the form of adverts that are clearly visible to anyone sat next / near to you. And that is before you even start to consider the likely illegality of it.

As with thunter, I am generally open about being HIV-positive, but not everyone is. 

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Larsen on March 16, 2013, 02:50:04 PM ---
I don't have a problem with targeted advertising. I do have a problem with targeting PRESUMED (and potentially stigmatising) health conditions and showing that in the form of adverts that are clearly visible to anyone sat next / near to you. And that is before you even start to consider the likely illegality of it.

As with thunter, I am generally open about being HIV-positive, but not everyone is. 

--- End quote ---

Well then I guess you better figure out how to use a browser extension that eliminates it or contact the UK Home Office with your concerns of legality. btw, they've been doing this for at least three years.

Larsen:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 16, 2013, 02:26:35 PM ---It has nothing to do with poz.com searching my computer (o noes!) or, similarly, facebook searching your computer. It just has to do with how on line advertising works using cookies.
--- End quote ---

In the case of poz.com, it is just cookies, but in the case of Facebook it is to do with scanning your likes, comments etc. and running these through algorithms to try to deduce facts about you in order to monetize (and no, you can't opt out of it Facebook).

Larsen:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 16, 2013, 02:55:08 PM ---btw, they've been doing this for at least three years.
--- End quote ---

Specifically targeting health conditions through Facebook? I'd love to see the proof of that - targeted advertising perhaps, but, as I have already made clear, that isn't specifically what the complaint is about.. And as for browser extensions, they can't prevent Facebook running your posts, comments and likes through algorithms.

Miss Philicia:
Regardless of your quibbling, I'm quite sure that facebook's activities are covered through their Terms of Service, something you undoubtedly agreed to when you signed up there but likely didn't bother to read because it was several pages.

Nobody is forcing you to sit at Starbucks and use facebook where Susanna-Anonymous sitting next to you with her vile Cinnamon Dolce latte can peek over your left elbow and see that you have AIDS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version