if everyone knows you have teh damm AIDS, now is it

just my 2 cents here, I have always believed in full disclosure

for the last 25 yrs.  it is what it is,

GET OVER IT, PLEASE!

HUGS

DEN  :D

mecch:
denb45
there are different issues getting mixed up in this thread.
The OP posted objecting to the idea that a corporation can track and identify a person based on a medical condition.  Medical conditions are generally considered private information... That's it.
Other people have thrown into the mix the issues about the possible outing - that the condition could be revealed to contacts on Facebook. That the ads could pop up when we don't necessarily want people seeing them, using a computer in public. 

Why do you have to confuse the issue by confounding in the issue of who we disclose to and not???   People who are concerned about an issue of personal privacy, when online,  are not a MUTUALLY exclusive group from people who are generally open about their HIV status...  It just depends on where and with whom.

Also, lets remember that some people do NOT disclose because there is bias and prejudice and very serious discrimination, in this world, against HIV+ people, for instance -- employment discrimination. 

Geez, keep things in perspective and think a bit globally. 

denb45:

--- Quote from: mecch on March 17, 2013, 12:33:13 PM ---denb45

Geez, keep things in perspective and think a bit globally.

--- End quote ---

Corporations as well as big -pharma runs  everything, so, not sure what your insinuting here

@ least here in the US, that is the way things are, and will contiune to be that way

if most of you don't already know this, everything you put on FB , click on to, type & say

can be read by whomever you deem, so again, still not understanding the whole

globally perspective ..... ( I saw, if I'm not mistaken, that the OP lived in the UK )

and had a beef w/ FB privacy issues, perhaps, they should learn how to use

FB correctly, it might by helpful to them, who knows.......

if anybody dosen't know how to use social media , then it's your own fault

if you say it and put it out there, it's on youself, and you simply cannot play the blame game

Only who I deem on FB can actually see what my interests are, and that only includes

friends & family, also , YES, I do use my real name on FB

anit no shame in my game, it is, what it is

P.S.  I see that ANN gave the OP a well deserved time out

gotta love her for for that  :-*

HUGS

DEN   :D

mecch:

--- Quote from: denb45 on March 17, 2013, 12:24:02 PM ---I just cannot understand for the life of me

why any and all of you seem to be afraid

of being outed about your HIV/AIDS status

on FB, twitter, or any other social media

if THIS bothers you so much, stay off of FB

and social media

REALLY, why is that, I'm confused

who cares if you have it or not

--- End quote ---

You changed the subject in your response.
I was referring to you "not understanding" why someone wants to keep their HIV status private, whereever and from whomever they choose...
You well know why.  And I gave you one good reason, too - employment discrimination.
Your points about knowing how to use facebook, social media.  That is fine...  But your feigned incredulous that some people consider a medical condition to be private --  is just that - an attitude.

For what?  Its a complicated world. Not everyone HIV+ is in a position to shout it from the treetops... There is no need for a pecking order about who is more or less open about their HIV+ status.

The point the OP made was clear as day...    Denby, if corporations control everything, that doesn't make whatever they do right.  Yes we have to be wise to counteract that and protect ourselves.  But that doesn't make the loss of privacy OK. 

denb45:

--- Quote from: mecch on March 17, 2013, 01:28:23 PM ---

Denby, if corporations control everything, that doesn't make whatever they do right.  Yes we have to be wise to counteract that and protect ourselves.  But that doesn't make the loss of privacy OK.

--- End quote ---

Your privacy is your own bissness, you are the one, and only one that has the control over it, as far as social media is concerned , I never said that the loss of   privacy was Ok, I for one don't think it's Ok

HUGS

DEN  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version