Main Forums > AIDS Activism

Facebook's targeted advertising

(1/6) > >>

Larsen:
Despite my HIV-status not being declared anywhere on my Facebook profile, nor indeed explicitly in any of my 'likes', I am somewhat concerned to note that I have, in the last 24 hours, been targeted by two different adverts which explicitly identify me as being HIV-positive. A friend who lives with bipolar disorder has experienced the same thing with targeted adverts identifying his mental health issues.

Personally, I consider it to be a crass and deeply disturbing invasion of privacy that Facebook's algorithms are even scanning for health conditions, let alone using these stigmatising assumptions to target advertising. Not only that, but here in the UK it is highly questionable whether it is even legal.

Before making an official complaint to Facebook and kicking up a stink through various activist groups, I was just curious to hear if any of you have noticed anything similar.

thunter34:
Yes, I have noticed the same thing.  I have also noticed FB shows me what other people supposedly "like" or have expressed any curiosity or interest in.  I assume it is showing everyone else the same thing about me.  I have no idea what to do about it - save abandoning FB altogether.

But since nearly everything is linked together these days, I spent a little time doing all sorts of random searches and likes.  Now folks can see that "hot women in my area want to meet me" and that I am into underwater basket weaving.  I've explored all sorts of randomized things and now get targeting advertising to match.

The end result is that you can't really tell jack about me by what FB is sending.  And, truth is, I am open about my status and don't give a shit.  But I understand that others do...and it still grates me just in principle because it is so invasive.

Miss Philicia:
It happens on this web site -- things show up that I have been shopping for on-line. Like a chair or a lamp, etc. It has nothing to do with poz.com searching my computer (o noes!) or, similarly, facebook searching your computer. It just has to do with how on line advertising works using cookies. I know there's a way to "opt out" for targeted advertising on google so maybe do some research on that. I'm not paranoid enough to bother.

Basically I think if you are the sole user of your computer, laptop, tablet or whatever then you're the only one who is going to see what you're objecting to.

thunter34:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 16, 2013, 02:26:35 PM ---It happens on this web site -- things show up that I have been shopping for on-line. Like a chair or a lamp, etc. It has nothing to do with poz.com searching my computer (o noes!) or, similarly, facebook searching your computer. It just has to do with how on line advertising works using cookies. I know there's a way to "opt out" for targeted advertising on google so maybe do some research on that. I'm not paranoid enough to bother.

Basically I think if you are the sole user of your computer, laptop, tablet or whatever then you're the only one who is going to see what you're objecting to.

--- End quote ---

To do degree it is based on cookies, but FB is also in bed with YouTube, Spotify, Yahoo and I can't even remember who else.  They get profiles on you based on your interests and what you read and then plaster you with ads to match.

But I agree that, for the most part, any objectionable ads are pretty much going to be for your eyes only.  The problematic part is that if you, say...read lots of articles concerning HIV on Yahoo then that is going to get broadcast to all your friends unless you carefully take the time to be sure it doesn't.  If you like AussieBum's page, then it's pretty certain folks will figure out you're gay by broadcasting that interest much more prominently than they used to.

On a related note...I just found an article that talks about FB's privacy options.  Oy.  Good luck with all that.  The chart looks like a spider's web of things to toggle and navigate, click and unclick. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-guide-to-facebook-s-privacy-options-201530414.html?fb_action_ids=10151563739559680&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=facebook_cb&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151563739559680%22%3A498848643506184%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151563739559680%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210151563739559680%22%3A%22facebook_cb%22%7D

Like Phillicia, I am not paranoid enough to bother.

Miss Philicia:
Conversely, do you want to pay for each of those services you use in place of targeted advertising?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version