Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Early HIV drugs 'functionally cure about one in 10'

<< < (5/5)

jkinatl2:
Odd how none, and I mean none of the people I have encountered on this forum or in real life have been among the "functionally cured."

We've had, what, a dozen or so people who are long term slow progressors, and perhaps half a dozen long term non-progressors, so you'd think at least ONE person would have come through here with thatr situation.

I HAVE encountered several hundred (or more) people who, for whatever reasons, have stopped taking meds, and have been hospalized with opportunistic infections. Or died.

Frankly, if anyone is considering stopping meds to see what happens, my advice is go for it!

We need periodic object lessons on this forum, after all.

vaboi:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on May 08, 2013, 06:11:43 PM ---Odd how none, and I mean none of the people I have encountered on this forum or in real life have been among the "functionally cured."

We've had, what, a dozen or so people who are long term slow progressors, and perhaps half a dozen long term non-progressors, so you'd think at least ONE person would have come through here with thatr situation.

I HAVE encountered several hundred (or more) people who, for whatever reasons, have stopped taking meds, and have been hospalized with opportunistic infections. Or died.

Frankly, if anyone is considering stopping meds to see what happens, my advice is go for it!

We need periodic object lessons on this forum, after all.

--- End quote ---

This is because no one has been "functionally cured" except for the Burlin patient and perhaps a baby, if you want to call that a curing..  I more call it giving someone meds early enough (within days) after infection that hadn't taken hold, which anyone could have done (baby or not) and gotten "cured".

The discussion here is whether someone is "functionally cured" who had been taking meds early after infection and then stops having a maintained very low or undetectable VL.   We don't know the answer to that because no one knows what the baseline for these patients would have been had they never started meds to begin with.  That's why you never hear of anyone being classified as "functionally cured" in this category.  Since such people are so rare to begin with, when encountered they are just passed off as possibly could have been long-term non or slow progressors to begin with.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: vaboi on May 08, 2013, 07:52:09 PM ---This is because no one has been "functionally cured" except for the Burlin patient and perhaps a baby, if you want to call that a curing..  I more call it giving someone meds early enough (within days) after infection that hadn't taken hold, which anyone could have done (baby or not) and gotten "cured".

The discussion here is whether someone is "functionally cured" who had been taking meds early after infection and then stops having a maintained very low or undetectable VL.   We don't know the answer to that because no one knows what the baseline for these patients would have been had they never started meds to begin with.  That's why you never hear of anyone being classified as "functionally cured" in this category.  Since such people are so rare to begin with, when encountered they are just passed off as possibly could have been long-term non or slow progressors to begin with.

--- End quote ---

While I agree in theory, you have to understand that the criteria for slow/non progressors specifically rules out treatment experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version