Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Early HIV drugs 'functionally cure about one in 10'

<< < (3/5) > >>

Larsen:

--- Quote from: littleprince on March 16, 2013, 03:57:48 PM ---Larsen, you could stop treatment and monitor your viral load closely.
--- End quote ---

Littleprince, yes, I could; but as far as I can see, both the SMART and DART studies showed pretty conclusively that the risks of even relatively short treatment breaks, where there isn't a clinical need, by far outweigh the benefits for what is, at the end of the day, still a very long odds chance of something that would still leave me looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

I've taken part in a fair few trials over the years, but this would just have too many negatives.

mecch:
Huffpost Healthy Living
14 Adults 'Functionally Cured' Of HIV, Study Says
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/15/14-adults-cured-of-hiv-functionally-cure-_n_2884201.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

And we're off...

YellowFever:

--- Quote from: Dr.Strangelove on March 16, 2013, 12:54:51 PM ---To avoid confusion between the different termini, I hereby suggest the introduction of the term "temporary functional cure" ;D
That should describe those patients in the study well enough and make the distinction between this and cases like Timothy Brown, who is actually functionally cured as far as we know.

--- End quote ---

It is still debated whether Tim Brown was functionally cured or sterilizingly cured.

The terms themselves are pretty standard: one means the ability to control the virus inside your body without the use of ART and another the absence of ALL traces of the virus.

From my perspective, the VISCONTI cohort and long term non progressors are in the same group. They are able to control the virus inside their bodies without lifelong use of meds.

I'm not sure if those 'long term non-progressors' who eventually experience immune damage at some distant point in the future would be called as such. They would be more accurately named as slow progressors.

buginme2:
Do the articles say which medication these people were on?

Did the type of medication (ie PI, NNRTI, II) affect the "cure rate?"

(I haven't had a chance to read all the articles, been traveling a lot)

Newguy:
My ID doctor told me the other day she is curious how many people are still taking meds and might be functionally cured. This is indeed very interesting and should blossom into something exciting within the next decade.

Best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version