Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Support group

(1/2) > >>

Beyondstatus:
Hello All

I'm a 24 year old gay male who was just diagnosed Feb 4th, 2013 as poz. It's been a rollercoaster but I have some really good doctors and social workers who've answered the majority of my questions. I don't really have many gay friends or poz friends so the social worker I talk to keeps recommending I check out this support group for young gay poz dudes in the area. I'm out but I've only told my best friend about my HIV status. I'm worried that going to this support group, someone may know me or tell someone about my HIV status which I'm not ready for.

So I was wondering have any of you gone to support groups? What was your experience like? Would you recommend that I go and see?

Miss Philicia:
Every support group I've ever attended has made privacy a top point at the beginning of any meeting. Of course, this doesn't guarantee anything technically but I've also not heard of bad experiences.

texaninnyc87:
The group I attend is really great. Its for newly diagnosed gay guys in their 20s. I've learned a lot from the group and it's been really helpful to hear what other people are going through/have gone through. It's made me feel a lot less lonely about the whole thing and has been a really nice experience. I've also met some new friends through my group. Being able to talk to friends about what youre dealing with is great, but theres something different about talking to friends who are in the same boat that i've found really invaluable.

I would definitely recommend trying it out. If you hate it, you can always chose to not go back!

Beyondstatus:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on March 12, 2013, 01:03:28 PM ---Every support group I've ever attended has made privacy a top point at the beginning of any meeting. Of course, this doesn't guarantee anything technically but I've also not heard of bad experiences.

--- End quote ---

See those bad experiences are what I'm afraid of  :-[

Beyondstatus:

--- Quote from: texaninnyc87 on March 12, 2013, 01:31:38 PM ---The group I attend is really great. Its for newly diagnosed gay guys in their 20s. I've learned a lot from the group and it's been really helpful to hear what other people are going through/have gone through. It's made me feel a lot less lonely about the whole thing and has been a really nice experience. I've also met some new friends through my group. Being able to talk to friends about what youre dealing with is great, but theres something different about talking to friends who are in the same boat that i've found really invaluable.

I would definitely recommend trying it out. If you hate it, you can always chose to not go back!

--- End quote ---

You're right, I can always just not go back. I'm just worried any damage I'm afraid of could've already happen by then. But I think I'm going to just suck it up and go. It'd be nice to find some friends in my area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version