HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Education and Advice

(1/1)

abercrombiejakester:

First, I think what you all have here for people who need assistance and guidance on HIV is great. The education here is remarkable. It makes me feel good to know that people like yourselves do outreach like this.

I had a random hook-up with a man who was 32 and we exchanged oral sex, mostly him giving me oral and I probably gave him oral for no more than 2 minutes combined (off and on). We started talking on a gay application through phones (i.e. Grindr, etc.). It's a small world because I knew him from high school as well. He also performed oral sex on my anus for a few minutes. He attempted to try and stick a finger in my anus but I refused to let him do that because it's not really my thing. He informed me he was negative but I assumed if anything, he could be positive.

My concern is that I did taste a little pre-cum when I gave him oral. He never ejaculated. I never swallowed any of my spit. I have always been scared to swallow fully when giving oral for some reason. Sometimes, I bite the insides of my cheeks when eating, but never notice that they bleed or even cut the cheek. I mean, even if I did bite the inside of my cheeck earlier in the day, do you (in your opinion) think it is something I need to worry about? (i.e. since I did taste a little of his precum?).

Any information or advice/opinions you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Forever grateful.

Ann:
Aber,

Unless you have absolutely terrible oral health (google "meth mouth" and no, biting your inner cheeks does not count as terrible oral health) then you're worrying over nothing.

Getting a blowjob is absolutely NOT a risk for hiv infection, and neither is being rimmed (or being fingered for that matter). Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Not one person has ever been infected through being blown or rimmed or fingered and you're not going to be the first.

You haven't had a risk and you do not need to test over this specific incident. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER ORAL SEX, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

abercrombiejakester:
Thanks Ann. I appreciate your quick reply.

This just happened last week so it's been on my mind constantly after the incident. I believe I have good oral health. No cavities and brush and rinse daily. I think this forum has definitely educated me by reading the posts and learning about different scenarios. I just have the "what-if" high anxiety at the moment and that is causing me to "zone-out" at work and other places and it is making tired. Which I can see how some people could see that being a symptom of HIV. I've learned that high anxiety can cause your body to do a lot of things (i.e. stress, get colds, have diarhea, headaches, etc.) so I can see when people worry about HIV exposure, how the anxiety can make them feel as if they are experiencing symptoms. 

I guess God puts these unexpected events in our lives to wake us up and think before we act.

abercrombiejakester:
If I am posting this in the wrong place, please forgive me and feel free to move it.

7 days after my situation, I went and got a overall STI test through my primary doctor. The reason I did this is because I wanted to see what it would come back as to know my status currently. She did a blood test and a pee test to check for everything. Two days later, she said I was all negative. She said it was a HIV1 and HIV2 test and the levels where 0-9 with mine being 0. She did an RPR test for syphilis and that came back negative as well. This was 7 days post exposure. When should I get tested again? I was thinking about getting a PCR test done after 28 days? What are your thoughts? I know you all said I was never at risk for oral sex (giving and receiving) (and I am assuming the person I was with was HIV positive). I just want a clear conscience though. Any thoughts? Thank you as always.

Andy Velez:
You don't seem to be really listening to anything other than your doubts and fears. Ann has already firmly told you that you were not at risk for HIV. There was no need for testing nor is there any need for further testing for HIV. So we're not going to get into conversation about this test or that and further such details because you were never at risk.

Stop creating a problem where there is none. Get on with your life. Really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version