Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

New drug combo

(1/1)

Danigirl:
Hello, has anyone tried Isentress and Kaletra? My husband's doctor called it in for him after he had a bad reaction from Atripla.  We are new at this and I am having a hard time finding any info on these two drugs being used together. If you have or are taking them, how are they working for you?

Miss Philicia:
It's not a usual combination. But I guess there's a reason that your doctor is going this route. I'd assume whatever the "bad reaction" was perhaps in combination with your husband's resistance profile is leading him to go with a more unorthodox combination? You'd really need to have this discussion with your doctor.

Otherwise I've been on both of these medications, just not at the same time. The usual route is to combine either of them with two NRTI class medications, such as Truvada (which is really 2 NRTIs in one capsule)

Miss Philicia:
I ran across this article today and remembered your thread:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Second-line-NRTI-sparing-regimen-proves-equally-effective-for-resource-limited-settings/page/2591493/

A second-line antiretroviral regimen of lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra/Aluvia) and raltegravir (Isentress) proved just as effective as a regimen containing lopinavir/ritonavir and two or three nucleoside or nucleotide analogues in large study conducted in Australia, Africa, Latin America and Asia, researchers from Sydney’s Kirby Institute reported this week at the 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2013) in Atlanta.

Danigirl:
Thanks Miss Philicia,
Just a update...the drug combo did work. Well, at least the went from over 150k to less than 200! His CD4 is still low though:/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version