Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Beautiful Disaster89

<< < (13/14) > >>

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on March 26, 2013, 01:53:15 AM ---I believe it is a very rare event.  I just don't see enough data for so many to have the "no way, no how, does not happen ever" mindset.

--- End quote ---

And you will not see many of us thinking in absolutes either.

Joe K:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on March 26, 2013, 01:53:15 AM ---I believe it is a very rare event.  I just don't see enough data for so many to have the "no way, no how, does not happen ever" mindset.

--- End quote ---

In the 30 years I've been poz, I've had dozens of folks claim to be infected via oral sex.  We get them all the time on these forums, but we have folks here who know the science and the science tells us that it just does not happen very often.  I would think that just through observation, folks would see that oral sex is not a common vector for infection, otherwise, hundreds of millions of folks who practice oral sex would be infected... and they are not.

What I often see, regarding folks who claim oral infection, is there are other factors that are either intentionally ignored or just too hard to face.  I get that, I really do.  These forums however, are here to provide the latest, greatest and peer-reviewed science because we want people to have the truth so they can make informed decisions.  It would be irresponsible for us to promote the idea that infection via oral is common or not extremely rare, when the science tells us no such thing.

Joe

tednlou2:
I totally get that.  But, there are people who say you absolutely cannot be infected via oral route.  And, some ridicule others for suggesting it could be possible in some situations--albeit very rare situations.

Souledout:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on March 27, 2013, 11:42:33 PM ---I totally get that.  But, there are people who say you absolutely cannot be infected via oral route.  And, some ridicule others for suggesting it could be possible in some situations--albeit very rare situations.

--- End quote ---

Especially when a new, recently diagnosed member turns up. This is the last thing they need when they come here for support during what is an incredibly difficult period in their lives.

mecch:

--- Quote from: Souledout on March 28, 2013, 05:22:48 AM ---Especially when a new, recently diagnosed member turns up. This is the last thing they need when they come here for support during what is an incredibly difficult period in their lives.

--- End quote ---
If someone on Pozforums "ridicules" a newbie its probably accidental, or a poor choice of words, or a misunderstanding, or the pozmember doing it is a jerk.  In any event, its unfortunate. But its collateral damage to the main issue which is coming to terms with the facts.  Accepting the most likely truth of matters is often a key to living well with HIV....  It may be uncomfortable to hear the likely truth, the probable explanation of things. 

Sometimes you have to rip off a bandaid thats stuck, there's no alternative.

But I agree it shouldn't be done with ridicule and its too bad when one more thing to think about is heaped onto a person in turmoil.

Have a look through the "am I infected" threads once or twice and you can see the ignorance, fear, fetishes, obsessions, irrationality, stereotypes, prejudice, etc people carry around about HIV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version