Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

LTS and "brain fog."

(1/4) > >>

aztecan:
I watched a webinar on studies done on aging and HIV yesterday.

No earth-shattering news, but the presenter, who was from Johns Hopkins, said the issues of HAND (HIV Associated Neurocognitive Disorder) have changed since the early years of the pandemic.

Again, no surprise there. People exhibited signs of dementia akin to late-stage Alzheimer's syndrome in the early days.

Today, the changes are more subtle, may or may not progress depending on the individual, and in some cases, it seems to improve.

The bottom line in all of this is each of us should keep an eye on this for our own peace of mind, or should that be piece of mind?  ;)

Among the indicators that tended to be found with people experiencing HAND were low CD4 counts. Ongoing low CD4s and having a very low CD4 nadir appeared to go hand-in-hand with HAND. (Ouch, for a moment I thought I was Seth MacFarlane.)

This is just another good reason to be adherent with our meds, and if someone isn't on meds as yet, encourage them to pursue treatment before their CD4s suffer too much.

But CD4s are not the only culprit and, from what was said in the webinar, a combination of things could be involved as well.

Controlling depression, getting good nutrition, exercising the little grey cells, as Poirot used to say, and staying socially engaged seemed to play a role in helping people either adapt or improve their cognitive functions.

The most encouraging thing I heard was that, while most of us will experience some level of this, and it does seem to have a greater affect those of us who have passed the 50-year mark, it is not the AIDS dementia of old.

In fact, many people, it was stated in the webinar, experience some degree of this but never get worse. They just sorta stay dottie.

I can live with that. Hmmm, maybe I already am.  :o

HUGS,

Mark

denb45:

--- Quote from: aztecan on February 26, 2013, 10:10:34 AM ---does seem to have a greater affect those of us who have passed the 50-year mark, it is not the AIDS dementia of old.

In fact, many people, it was stated in the webinar, experience some degree of this but never get worse. They just sorta stay dottie.

I can live with that. Hmmm, maybe I already am.  :o

HUGS,

Mark

--- End quote ---

Mark Thanks for that info  :D

I've been dottie for yrs. seems to work in my favor tho.  ;D

I just have to remember to turn on my phone, PC, and be more socially engaged, I tend to FAIL at doing this with my dottie self more often than not  :-[

and as we all know THIS isn't the way to do things  :(

HUGS

DEN  ;)

mitch777:
Guess I would be dottie #3. :)

Just had a neuropsych test last week. Find out the results next Monday.
The neuropsychologist said I would probaly finish the test by 3:45.
I didn't leave the office until 5. ???
Know I did pretty bad in some of the memory testing.

Mark,
Did they mention the Johns Hopkins study about the Sustiva connection to HANDS?

My brain fog has been getting pretty bad during the past 5 years or so and is one reason that I am about to change meds from Atripla to Truvada/Isentress.
Maybe it will improve or at least prevent further dottiness? :-\
Maybe I am stuck with remaining dottie.
We shall see...
 :)

m.

aztecan:
Hey Mitch,

Yes, they did bring up the problem of pharmacological complications adding to, or perhaps even inducing HAND symptoms.

The webinar was about 40 minutes, and he covered a lot of stuff. But he was specifically asked about the Sustiva connection. He, and I need to go back and look up his name, said he believes there is a connection in many cases, and it was something doctors should watch out for.

HUGS,

Mark

denb45:

--- Quote from: aztecan on February 27, 2013, 01:16:31 AM ---
The webinar was about 40 minutes, and he covered a lot of stuff. But he was specifically asked about the Sustiva connection. He, and I need to go back and look up his name, said he believes there is a connection in many cases, and it was something doctors should watch out for.

HUGS,

Mark

--- End quote ---

Oh Great, I took Sustiva form 98 to 2003  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version