Main Forums > Living With HIV

More bone questions

<< < (10/10)

pittman:
Another potential thing you could do is some resistance training/weight lifting.  No need to go overboard, but even some moderate excersize of that nature can help improve bone strength. I have read where older women managed to gain significant bone density that way.

Talk to your doctor to see what they think . . .

Ann:

--- Quote from: wolfter on July 30, 2013, 08:15:30 PM ---
There's no specific test and we're trying to eliminate things

--- End quote ---

True, and I can well imagine how frustrating that can be. The person I spoke of earlier (he's only an acquaintance of mine, but a family member of a friend) went for several years before getting a diagnosis. In the end he was given a drug used to treat Parkinson's and when that relieved his symptoms, they called it a diagnosis.

On a side note, that's why they still call it the practice of medicine. They keep having to practice until they (hopefully) get it right.

Hope you get to the bottom of this sooner rather than later. Not knowing is always the worst, eh? Hang in there.

wolfter:
I think part of the problem is that there are a couple of different issues going on.  Obviously, the easily fractured bones and bone loss.  But I started discussing the balance/falling issues quite a while ago.  Escalators have been a source of anxiety for a while also. 

My doc did suggest we try an anti-pd medication, but also indicates that we should see if the symptoms progress.  I go decent amounts of time between incidents and that why we're hopeful it's not pd. 

These symptoms all manifested after recovering from the Cyrptococcal Meningitis so the doc feels a lot of this can be explained by neurological damage done during that period.  Mine was pretty severe which led to a bout of blindness/deafness.  The swelling was bad enough that they considered drilling for oil :D to relieve pressure.

A lot of this is a result of my own idiotic decisions during a dark period and I guess I continue to reap what I sowed. 

wolfter:

--- Quote from: pittman on July 30, 2013, 11:04:14 PM ---Another potential thing you could do is some resistance training/weight lifting.  No need to go overboard, but even some moderate excersize of that nature can help improve bone strength. I have read where older women managed to gain significant bone density that way.

Talk to your doctor to see what they think . . .

--- End quote ---

I don't do strength training but I perform a lot of manual tasks.  I do a lot of cardio exercises as I'm an avid cyclist.

I don't have any published reports to support my doctor's assertion, but he is seeing a huge increase in the number of long termers who are experiencing  bone loss.  He had a conversation with a colleague of his who now routinely performs BDS on all his older patients.  He is concerned about the higher than average bone loss in this segment.

I guess we continue to be the guinea pigs for the advancement of living with this virus. ;)  We were the chosen ones, stricken in the mid 80's, barely out of highschool. :( 

wolfter:
I guess it's too funny not to share; I stubbed my little toe yesterday evening and you can guess the result.  Multi colored and almost as big as the large toe. 

No sense bothering with having it checked as they can't do anything anyways.  Been there done that before. 

At least I have an excuse to deny my services when asked.

Wolfie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version