Main Forums > Living With HIV

More bone questions

(1/10) > >>

wolfter:
I've already sent my ID doctor an email with my concerns but I wonder how much knowledge I can ascertain in the mean time.  I'm thinking there has to be an underlying issues with my skeletal system especially since my foot hasn't healed yet.

I had the little fall on the stairs that caused a broken wrist and when I went to the new ortho doctor, I discovered I also had a broken toe.  I had stubbed it lightly but wasn't too concerned.  It became discolored but there wasn't much pain as I still don't have feeeling in that entire area of my foot.

It just seems like my bones are not holding up very well.  Last week I broke a piece of tooth just from flossing. 

I added calcium a couple of months ago to my diet along with a multi vitamin and fish oil. 

Another issue that I've never really wished to discuss here before  is the whole dieting thing.  Let's just say I've always had issues there and during stressful times, it manifests again.  I've focused on eating everyday and not starving.  I pretty much know this had to contribute to my issues and have tried to address it.

This past week has just left me in an extremely annoyed state of mind.

Thanks guys for any thoughtful responses.

Wolfie

Miss Philicia:
Have you had a dexa scan? Have your vit-d levels been checked during your routine blood/lab tests lately?

WillyWump:

--- Quote from: wolfter on February 22, 2013, 01:55:44 PM ---
Another issue that I've never really wished to discuss here before  is the whole dieting thing.  Let's just say I've always had issues there and during stressful times, it manifests again.  I've focused on eating everyday and not starving.  I pretty much know this had to contribute to my issues and have tried to address it.

--- End quote ---

Could you clarify this a bit? Im not following this part about dieting issues ^

Also Like P mentions you need to have your D levels checked if you havent yet. You actually said you were going to do this  backwhen I brought it up during your broken leg thingy. Write it down so you don't forget at your next doctors visit. Im surprised none of them have suggested this yet given all the breaks and stuff. My doc checks VitD levels yearly, and a few months ago she found my Vit D levels low so she prescribed me the high dose Vit D.

-W

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: WillyWump on February 22, 2013, 02:48:55 PM ---Could you clarify this a bit? Im not following this part about dieting issues ^

--- End quote ---

I think wolfie may be referring to studies that show HIV patients that are on the thin side have more bone issues than the plump girls. I think he's previously stated that in his attempt not to be overweight and have issues with lipids and other things connected with that he's focused, perhaps to his detriment, on being less heavy.

Of course, one need not be one or the other -- "normal" weight for one's height is a fairly large span depending on one's natural body build (ecto vs. endomorph), but my physician prefers that I be on the upper side of "normal" instead of the lower side due to my past history of not being able to keep weight on.

wolfter:
I just went through all my labs and there's no results listed for Vitamin D.  Just calcium levels which are within normal ranges.  The surgeon's report indicates there's marked osteopenia in my foot, but I believe that would be normal due to non use.

My doctor is ordering a dexa scan, but I've not rec'd the referral yet.

The reason I mention the extreme dieting is that I'm researching how much that affects the skeletal system long term. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version