Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Complera - meal types and timings.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ann:
The component of Complera that needs food present in order to be absorbed is rilpivirine (Edurant). The other two meds in Complera are the same as in Truvada and don't need food.

If you look at the package insert for Edurant, it says nothing about 400 calories (and Edurant is usually prescribed with Truvada - hence the one pill option).

What it does say is that it needs to be taken with a meal that includes fat.

So what it basically means is that your stomach needs to generate the type of digestive fluids that break down fat in order to break down Edurant so it can be absorbed.

So yeah, a 200 calorie meal that is high in fat should suffice. The fat content is the key more so than the calorie content.

I would imagine that they're saying "400 calorie meal" for Complera instead of "a meal that includes fat" because many people balk at the thought of having a high-fat meal. It looks like a case of "dumbing down" their dosing information, erring on the side of caution.

The fat thing is a bit of a no-brainer when you think about it. It's well-known that a high fat meal when eaten too close to taking Sustiva (also in Atripla) will increase the side effects, because fat makes it more easily absorbed and thus increases side-effects. (Remember, Sustiva and Edurant are in the same NNRTI class.)

The usual dose of Sustiva is 600mgs, while the usual dose of Edurant is only 25mgs. That's a much lower dose to get into your system - and fat will facilitate the process.

As for half-life, I've never seen any exact figures where this combo is concerned. The general rule of thumb is to pick a time to take your meds and take them at least two hours either side of that specific time. That gives you a four hour window.

Once you've achieved an undetectable viral load, what matters the most is that you're taking your meds every day. It's best to take them around the same time, but it's nothing to get your knickers into a twist about provided you take them every day.

Obviously for people who are on a combo that includes a med that must be taken twice a day, it's important that it is taken twice a day as evenly spaced out as humanly possible.

Delby:

--- Quote from: Ann on February 25, 2013, 04:56:33 AM ---The component of Complera that needs food present in order to be absorbed is rilpivirine (Edurant). The other two meds in Complera are the same as in Truvada and don't need food.

If you look at the package insert for Edurant, it says nothing about 400 calories (and Edurant is usually prescribed with Truvada - hence the one pill option).

What it does say is that it needs to be taken with a meal that includes fat.

So what it basically means is that your stomach needs to generate the type of digestive fluids that break down fat in order to break down Edurant so it can be absorbed.

So yeah, a 200 calorie meal that is high in fat should suffice. The fat content is the key more so than the calorie content.

I would imagine that they're saying "400 calorie meal" for Complera instead of "a meal that includes fat" because many people balk at the thought of having a high-fat meal. It looks like a case of "dumbing down" their dosing information, erring on the side of caution.

The fat thing is a bit of a no-brainer when you think about it. It's well-known that a high fat meal when eaten too close to taking Sustiva (also in Atripla) will increase the side effects, because fat makes it more easily absorbed and thus increases side-effects. (Remember, Sustiva and Edurant are in the same NNRTI class.)

The usual dose of Sustiva is 600mgs, while the usual dose of Edurant is only 25mgs. That's a much lower dose to get into your system - and fat will facilitate the process.

As for half-life, I've never seen any exact figures where this combo is concerned. The general rule of thumb is to pick a time to take your meds and take them at least two hours either side of that specific time. That gives you a four hour window.

Once you've achieved an undetectable viral load, what matters the most is that you're taking your meds every day. It's best to take them around the same time, but it's nothing to get your knickers into a twist about provided you take them every day.

Obviously for people who are on a combo that includes a med that must be taken twice a day, it's important that it is taken twice a day as evenly spaced out as humanly possible.

--- End quote ---

When you read the insert for complera it states:

'Taking one COMPLERA pill with a meal of 400 calories or more, at about the same time every day, is an important part of your daily routine. This helps get the right amount of medicine in your body.'

So i just don't understand how my doctor can say it will work on fasted or even 200 calories. He's a top ID doc in the UK as well, so he knows his stuff. So who's right? The manufacturer or my doctor?

MarkB:
This is a very helpful thread for me. After a bad time on Atripla - I won't bore you with the details - the clinic has prescribed me Eviplera (same as Complera?).

So: fatty meals. But what constitutes 'fat' (I'm fat enough as it is!). And how 'fatty' does the fat food have to be?

Any thoughts?

Miss Philicia:
A simple toasted bagel w/butter is 495 calories and 23g of fat (or 35% of the RDA). Come on ladies, use your imagination.

gadawg1979:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on February 27, 2013, 11:53:22 AM ---A simple toasted bagel w/butter is 495 calories and 23g of fat (or 35% of the RDA). Come on ladies, use your imagination.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I am on Complera and it is really not that hard to find a 400 cal meal.... For gods sake McDonald's

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version