Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

K-Pax Vitamins

(1/3) > >>

joylondon:
Hi,
I found out to be hiv positive in May 2012 when I was hospitalized for a chronic diarrhea due to cryptosporidium; my cd4 were only 22 (6%) and wbc 1650. The viral load was 400.000. I immediately started treatment with Prezista, Norvir and Truvada, folic acid, vitamin b and fermented papaya, probiotic yoghurt (Kefir) and also Bactrim which I stopped in November, and in July (2 months and half after) the cd4 were 284 (16%) and wbc about 4400 and the viral load undetacable. In september more or less same results. Since te begininng I took also lendormin (brotizolam) or, alternatevely, tavor (lorezepam) to sleep; but from september I increased the dosage of tavor and lendormin and I also added melatonin 2.5mg or en or lexotan. I also started to add vitamin c (500mg), d, zinc (25mg), copper (1,5mg) and selenium (60mg) and I started to walk for about 2 hours per day at least 4/5 times per week. In november the lab results showed 255 cd4 (20%) but only 3400 wbc. In January the lab results showed 293 cd4 (21,7) but again, only 3470 wbc. My question is: could the excess of benzos be the cause of this low count of wbc? (specifically neutrophilis = 1700/1800) or the melatonin? or the walks? (maybe it's too much 2 hours per day?). In any case I always felt great, healty and with a lot of energy in the last 5-6 months (I never had fever, flu, sore throat or head heach).
In the meantinme I stopped all the benzos and the melatonin and I started taking only halcion that I take after about 3 hours the haart in order to avoid interferences withn the Haart.
I also started now taking k-pax supplement (only 1 or 2 pills per day) but I noticed that it gives me a mild diarreha (I don't know if it's a coincidence)
Any experience (good or bad) with k-pax vitamins?
Thank you very much for your answers!

roy100:
You are mixing way up to many stuff in the mix.

You need to be on your ART for at least one year to get a minimun equilibrium in your body. Your body is fighting to get back its immune system to normality and you are adding way too much stuff.

Even your digestive system might not be able to assimilate all the vitamins your are taking.
So all of your questions about benzos , come down to, are they working? Talk to your Psychiatrist doctor, he is the only one who can answear you.

Stop taking so much stuff, it might hurt you rather than help you.
Get plenty of proteins in your meat, and eat healthy, after a year on ARV, you can add some other vitamins. That's my advice.
Greetings

joylondon:
Hi Roy,
thank you very much for your advise! Actually I'd already stopped all the benzos that I used to take and the melatonin too, because they did not work anymore and now I only take halcion before sleeping. And I also stopped all the vitamins which I was taking separately and I start trying K-pax (only 1 or 2 pills per day instead of 4) which is a multivitaminic Isince I eat not to much fruit and very little vegetable  due to my colitys (but I eat meat, fish, chiken, pasta. During the first period of haart did you take any vitamins and now?
Did you ever tried K-pax
Thank you very much  for your answer.

Ann:
Hi JL, welcome to the forums. I've moved this thread into the Nutrition forum, as it is a more appropriate place for it. You may want to read some of the other threads in the Nutrition forum as well, as many of them deal with people's experiences with various supplements.

You started out with a CD4 count of only 22 less than a year ago - and it may take some time before your get a substantial rise in your counts. Some people here went for years before their CD4s got over 200 when starting out so low.

You're already above 200, so you're doing very well in a short space of time. That's due to the Prezista, Norvir and Truvada you're taking, not any of the supplements.

You need to understand that the ONLY thing that has been proven to lower the VL and raise the CD4s is antiretroviral treatment (ART). If supplements did much of anything, we would not have lost so many people to this virus before there were effective treatments. Some people back in the 80s and 90s were taking all sorts of supplements and yet they died, due to lack of effective ART.

In the same vein, I've never seen any proof or even reference to things like benzos keeping a person's CD4 or WBC levels low while on treatment. Many people here take meds like benzos and/or antidepressants and/or sleeping tablets and it's just not an issue.

Ann

joylondon:

--- Quote from: Ann on February 14, 2013, 05:47:12 AM ---Hi JL, welcome to the forums. I've moved this thread into the Nutrition forum, as it is a more appropriate place for it. You may want to read some of the other threads in the Nutrition forum as well, as many of them deal with people's experiences with various supplements.

You started out with a CD4 count of only 22 less than a year ago - and it may take some time before your get a substantial rise in your counts. Some people here went for years before their CD4s got over 200 when starting out so low.

You're already above 200, so you're doing very well in a short space of time. That's due to the Prezista, Norvir and Truvada you're taking, not any of the supplements.

You need to understand that the ONLY thing that has been proven to lower the VL and raise the CD4s is antiretroviral treatment (ART). If supplements did much of anything, we would not have lost so many people to this virus before there were effective treatments. Some people back in the 80s and 90s were taking all sorts of supplements and yet they died, due to lack of effective ART.

In the same vein, I've never seen any proof or even reference to things like benzos keeping a person's CD4 or WBC levels low while on treatment. Many people here take meds like benzos and/or antidepressants and/or sleeping tablets and it's just not an issue.

Ann

--- End quote ---

Thank you Ann for your advise!!! Yes, you're completely right that the HAArt is the only way to improve the cd4 count. But I also read that some vitamins or micronutrients, such as selenium, zinc, vitamin d and vitamin b may help, along with the Haart. Is that true? I just had my vitamin d test and the result is that I'm carent, so I will take more vitamin d starting from tomorrow. Could be the melatonine the cause of the low wbc?
Thank you for your answers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version