Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

So long, Pope Benedict! Great knowing ya!

(1/30) > >>

Miss Philicia:
Citing advanced years and infirmity, Pope Benedict XVI, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, stunned the Roman Catholic world on Monday by saying that he would resign on Feb. 28, less than eight years after he took office, the first pope to do so in six centuries.

At least we all get to be amused with the smoke coming out of the chimney soon.

WillyWump:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on February 11, 2013, 08:24:19 AM ---
At least we all get to be amused with the smoke coming out of the chimney soon.

--- End quote ---

Yes! Yes! I'm thinking about having a Conclave party!

mecch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Turkson

This Cardinal seems to be a mixed bag in regards to those who hope for a progressive Vatican.

He wants the church involved in reforming global finance to help address wealth distribution.  But seems too timid to modernise the Church about sex, contraception, disease prevention, etc.   (Well, we could also hope that once he's in power, he could change his tune....) 

The Vatican and "abstinence" seem to be chiseled-in-stone BFFs as much as the GOP and "trickle down economics".

And at the end of the day, does global capitalism need to listen to the advice of the Catholic Pope? Doubtful.  But a Pope could reform his own Church's murderously antiquated doctrine....   

OneTampa:
I wonder what color(s) the smoke will be after the Conclave. 

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: WillyWump on February 11, 2013, 09:28:08 AM ---Yes! Yes! I'm thinking about having a Conclave party!

--- End quote ---

I hope that Rick Santorum becomes the Pope -- or Scalia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version