Main Forums > Living With HIV

Is it possible to have HIV and not get sick?

<< < (2/4) > >>

WestSide:

--- Quote from: Newguy on February 09, 2013, 06:09:11 PM ---My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.

--- End quote ---
I guess it's your job, since you disclosed to your besty, to educate the uneducated about your illness.  This is why I won't disclose until I have enough skill and knowledge to deal with people that may be a little ignorant about it.  It can be taboo to some but they really just need to be informed.

Newguy:

--- Quote from: WestSide on February 09, 2013, 06:53:27 PM ---, since you disclosed to your besty,

This expression made me laugh! Thanks for that WestSide

Have a great day!
--- End quote ---

weasel:

Hi Newguy ,
                    I went for 18 years and was never sick ,   Then started MEDS

in 2004 ?    and have never been sick ,  Being Diagnosed  with AIDS was

very alarming to me  !    But  I never have been one to be sick .

Wishing you well ,   MEDS these days will prevent any
   ill effects of HIV   for the most part  ;)

Carl

Ann:

--- Quote from: Newguy on February 09, 2013, 06:09:11 PM ---
Just a very bizarre condition. Although one thing that seems to be consistent is the stigma. My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.

--- End quote ---

I would be very tempted to ask this person, "When was the last time you got tested for hiv?" Not to be mean, not to shut her up, but to get her to stop and realise that hiv affects women too and if she's sexually active, she should be getting tested regularly.

As for your other concerns, hiv affects different people differently. A lot of it has to do with your own genetic make-up. That's why some people can party like it's 1999 and have great numbers while others are very careful and still progress to aids (in the absence of meds).

For example, many people who are Long Term Non-Progressors often have a certain gene that enables them to partially, if not completely, control hiv on their own without meds. People who can control the virus completely (ie have an UD VL) without meds are called elite controllers.

I was able to go fifteen years before starting meds, and I started before I ever got an aids diagnosis. I never did anything special. I smoke, I drink, my diet could be better and lawd knows I could get more exercise. I was never considered an LTNP as my VL was always too high; I was an LT-Slow-P.

It's just the luck of the genetic draw.

PozJimC:
Hi everyone.  I am very new to Forums.  I have read all the most recent replies to this "curious question" and feel I need to respond too.

I was diagnosed in 1993 and did not start meds until 2000 approx.  I have not been sick any more than any of the people around me.  In fact I got sick less than they did and when I did got sick I rebounded a lot quicker.  My CD4 started out low and VL was very high, but when I started meds these numbers reversed and I have been blessed to keep them that way. 

The concern about being hospitalized is always present.  Don't let this thought keep you from living.  Take care of yourself, take meds as prescribed, eat as healthy as you can, seek medical guidance when needed, and experience life one day at a time.

I often get fed up with taking meds, but I realize they are the reason I stay healthy.  Depression is always lurking to intrude on your life to take away the enjoyment of living.  De aware of depression and avoid alcohol, which causes depression to be worse.

Besides medical guidance you should seek out local support groups.  Yes, this means disclosure, but only to those that are just like you and are just as afraid of others knowing.  The positive affects outweight the negative.  Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version