Main Forums > Living With HIV

Is it possible to have HIV and not get sick?

(1/4) > >>

Newguy:
Hi everyone

Just curious but is it possible to not get sick if you have HIV and are on meds? Although I am dealing really will this diagnosis and am adherent 100% to my meds, I sometimes get anxious with the idea that I might be hospitalized with HIV? Any thoughts or experiences?

Best

buginme2:
Assuming you remain on meds and undetectable and all that and have an adequate recovery of your cd4 cells, your risk of getting opportunistic infections are small.  When you say "be hospitalized with HIV" is this what you mean?   

Your chances of getting sick with things like the flu will be about the same as the general public.  You will get sick at times just like everyone else on the planet.

Having HIV (even successfully treated HIV) does put you at a higher risk to develop certain types of cancer.  Liver disease, kidney disease, heart disease, and metabolic disorders are things you want to be cognizant of (most can be managed with lifestyle choices like quitting smoking, exercising, etc).

Jeff G:
I have been poz for almost 30 years and I'm in better shape than some of my friends and family ... actually I am in better shape than ALL of the ones my age .

I think you have every right to be optimistic about your future , I am about mine .

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Newguy on February 09, 2013, 03:21:35 PM ---Hi everyone

Just curious but is it possible to not get sick if you have HIV and are on meds? Although I am dealing really will this diagnosis and am adherent 100% to my meds, I sometimes get anxious with the idea that I might be hospitalized with HIV? Any thoughts or experiences?

Best

--- End quote ---

People like yourself who are recently diagnosed and on meds stand a great chance of never, ever developing AIDS.  It's been that way for almost a decade now.

Newguy:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not looking for reassurance but I am simply curious. Although I have managed to keep everything stable and move forward with my life, sometimes I forget I have HIV and then it creeps into my mind and snowballs. I don't like this feeling because my thoughts run wild and I am sure you know what I mean. The lowest my cd4 dropped was to 330 and I never ever got sick, not even seroconversion flu. I actually haven't been sick for a long time, meanwhile people around me are getting the flu and all sorts who are HIV negative.

This infection just seems super strange and I have no idea what to expect. You hear some stories of people in the hospital for  weeks with seroconversion, hard core partiers who maintain high CD4 and UD viral load and some who take care of themselves and get ill. There seems to be no consistency with this virus.

Just a very bizarre condition. Although one thing that seems to be consistent is the stigma. My dear friend whom I love is always asking if I am sick, meanwhile she always has the flu. I know she cares about me but it bugs me because she thinks HIV automatically equals the end.

Best to all!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version