Main Forums > Living With HIV

Louisville Poz Inmate Charged With Attempted Murder For Urine

<< < (6/6)

Ann:

--- Quote from: oksikoko on July 26, 2013, 04:20:43 PM ---
Who's to blame if the people writing the stories actually don't know that HIV is not transmitted that way?

--- End quote ---

In all seriousness, I place a HUGE amount of the blame on the CDC. The CDC site still says that kissing is a risk for hiv infection - ie saliva is capable of transmitting hiv. The prisoner in question isn't up for attempted murder for throwing piss, he's being charged with that for spitting on a guard.

According to Ted's second link: "Clark also allegedly threatened to spit on any officer who entered his cell. He was charged with attempted murder and assault in connection with that incident."

He's being charged with second degree assault, a felony, for throwing piss in the second incident.

I'm assuming that it's the spitting in the first incident that garnered the attempted murder charge, otherwise he'd be charged with it again over this second incident.

Ted's link where I read this: http://www.wdrb.com/story/22930582/report-hiv-positive-inmate-throws-urine-at-corrections-officer

Back to the CDC - they're supposed to be a trusted institution and the go-to guys for information on any infectious disease, yet they insist on carrying outdated and just plain wrong information when it comes to hiv.

In my opinion, they're largely responsible for all the rest of the misinformation regarding hiv transmission out there on the internet.

So where are people supposed to get reliable information? Most schools don't even teach kids how to prevent pregnancy or chlamydia, never mind hiv. (The under 30s age group has the highest rate of chlamydia all around the world, and it often has no symptoms - until one finds out later in life that they're infertile due to untreated chlamydia. Or they come down with a form of arthritis called Reiter's syndrome.)

I've heard people say - "well, there's no excuse in today's internet society for people to not understand hiv transmission." Again I ask you - where are they supposed to get correct information when the main go-to guys still list kissing as a risk? When many websites base their information on information they got from the go-to guys?

And we wonder why people freak out over kissing and blowjobs? We wonder why an hiv positive person's spit is considered a deadly weapon that can get you charged with murder?

I had hoped things would change over at the CDC when Bush left office. I can't tell you how disappointed I am that things have continued there "business as usual". There is a shred of hope in that some people in congress are finally trying to sort this out, but until the go-to guys change their tune, I'm afraid we'll be hearing the same song for some time to come.

tednlou2:
A local radio station has reported the poor reporting at the TV stations.  They did leave out the NBC affiliate, for some reason.   I'm not sure what kind of readership their site gets, but at least they reported on it.  I need to search our local paper.  I haven't gotten a chance to read the paper this week. 

http://wfpl.org/post/media-critic-louisville-tv-stations-missed-real-story-behind-hiv-positive-inmate

Ann:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on July 28, 2013, 02:29:10 PM ---A local radio station has reported the poor reporting at the TV stations.  They did leave out the NBC affiliate, for some reason.   I'm not sure what kind of readership their site gets, but at least they reported on it.  I need to search our local paper.  I haven't gotten a chance to read the paper this week. 

http://wfpl.org/post/media-critic-louisville-tv-stations-missed-real-story-behind-hiv-positive-inmate

--- End quote ---

Please keep us updated on any feedback you get, Ted. Thanks. I hope those links I gave you help.

Did you notice that one of the responses to the article above (saw yours, btw, kudos...) trotted out that tired old "theoretically possible" line - regarding piss? Yeah, and it's theoretically possible that you'll get hit by a meteorite the next time you step outside your front door. FFS!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version