Main Forums > Living With HIV

Regularly missing meds

<< < (7/8) > >>

buginme2:

--- Quote from: leatherman on February 19, 2013, 08:49:09 PM ---do you mean because you need more food to deal with them or because you don't always have time for the food?

--- End quote ---

He mentioned he had to take his meds with a full meal or else he gets the...sh*ts

A light snack probably doesn't work.

Regardless, I am sure you eat one full meal each day, just take your meds with that meal...like we said you don't have to take your meds at the same exact time each day.   Being a few hours off each day is surely better than missing days completely.  Sounds like your making this harder than it needs to.

That is, unless there is something else going on that you haven't mentioned.  Reading your post (I could be way off), but is there something else? Substance use, or housing difficulty maybe? The "hectic lifestyle" you told us not to ask you about.........I'm asking.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on February 19, 2013, 10:19:26 PM ---The "hectic lifestyle" you told us not to ask you about.........I'm asking.

--- End quote ---

There really is only so much help we as a forum can offer without asking that question.

To the OP:

Have you noticed certain food groups seem necessary to avoid the shits? Protein? Fiber? Do certain foods cause them or make them worse, like dairy?

400 calories, without dietary restrictions, is more than doable with a protein bar or two and a nutrition shake, if necessary. But if dairy is an issue you have to work around that, and it's been my experience that fast/fried food, calorie count notwithstanding, can make the diarrhea worse.

HIV can be such a personalized issue. In a way dealing with the meds is like dealing with Crohn's disease in that what triggers side effects in one person might not in others.

It might take trial and error, and maybe a few frantic trips to the bathroom, but you obviously value your health and your life enough to try.

For some folks, fiber supplements help with the shits. For others, Tums. But it all comes down to your own physiology and your lifestyle. Sadly, even in these waning years of AIDS,  the virus does demand come changes - sometimes uncomfortable and fundamental ones.

Alan_B:
The living arrangements are due to work and social life and well I did have a love life, but not anymore. No substance abuse at all, particularly as mental health issues such as paranoid scitzophrenia run in the family.

Taking them with lunch is fine though the week, it's more the weekends I struggle with as I'm out of the house from 10am to . . . . Well I never really know where I will end up. Weekends are very much impulsive and I can end up in random places at random times. Say if I'm at my mates and we go out for a drive and end up eating out for dinner, I've no tablets with me cause we aren't in my car and by the time we get back I've forgotten all about it. That's just an example which happens on occasion. Eating is my reminder, cause when I sit down at my own house my meds are straight in front of me on the table so it's impossible to forget.

Alan_B:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on February 20, 2013, 01:27:51 AM ---There really is only so much help we as a forum can offer without asking that question.

To the OP:

Have you noticed certain food groups seem necessary to avoid the shits? Protein? Fiber? Do certain foods cause them or make them worse, like dairy?

400 calories, without dietary restrictions, is more than doable with a protein bar or two and a nutrition shake, if necessary. But if dairy is an issue you have to work around that, and it's been my experience that fast/fried food, calorie count notwithstanding, can make the diarrhea worse.

HIV can be such a personalized issue. In a way dealing with the meds is like dealing with Crohn's disease in that what triggers side effects in one person might not in others.

It might take trial and error, and maybe a few frantic trips to the bathroom, but you obviously value your health and your life enough to try.

For some folks, fiber supplements help with the shits. For others, Tums. But it all comes down to your own physiology and your lifestyle. Sadly, even in these waning years of AIDS,  the virus does demand come changes - sometimes uncomfortable and fundamental ones.

--- End quote ---

Your right, I need to figure out what types of food makes me more prone to it. I have a varied diet, from super healthy for a few days to pigging out on take aways for a few days.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Alan_B on February 21, 2013, 01:15:32 PM ---Your right, I need to figure out what types of food makes me more prone to it.

--- End quote ---
keeping some sort of a journal always helps in these kinds of situations.

many people dealing with HIV side-effects have to track when, where, how much to eventually overcome these issues. It wasn't until I provided my doctor with a journal explicitly showing how I was throwing up 6-8 times a month before he really believed me and changed my regimen. Charting how mustard and big clumps of bread effected my esophagus finally tracked down how scar tissue damage from thrush required me to have my throat dilated so that I could eat and swallow properly. Tracking my days of sun-exposure helped to verify that Bactrim was the cause of the redness and itching.

It wasn't always easy and it took some time; but I was able to overcome constant extreme redness and itching, vomiting 8 times a month and not being able to eat out with having to rush to the bathroom unable to breath or swallow.

I'm sure if you work at trying to remember to take your meds, work out ways to have meds with you, and work on finding out what, why and how you have other digestive issues that you can resolve these issues and be able to take your meds appropriately without all the nastier side effects. It'll just take some time and some extra effort on your part for a while ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version