Main Forums > Living With HIV

Regularly missing meds

<< < (5/8) > >>

thunter34:
I really don't mean any offense, but I'll swear some of you folks make this stuff out to be way harder than it needs to be.  I am on this same exact combo.  Granted, I don't bounce from house to house every week as a matter of course, but I have bounced from house to house in the pursuit of good parties or good penis plenty of times and still managed to pull this combo off without a hitch for years.

I just take it with breakfast every day.  You're always gonna be hungry soon after getting up, right?  Get it out of the way first thing.  And I just use a poor man's fob...I slap all that mess into one decently big bottle and go.

This biggest issue is YOU.  You have to decide to make it a priority.  If it's really important to you (and it darn well ought to be), you'll make it happen.  Figure it out.  I swear it won't take but a couple of weeks til you can do it habitually with barely any thought.

Good luck.

Alan_B:
Hi all,

Just to address a few things - I was on Atripla for 6 months and coped fine. Taking tablets doesn't bother me in the slightest. One gulp of water and all four go down the hatch at once.

Food wise - I take a small breakfast and when I take the tablets in the morning you can gaurentee at some point during the day I will have diorheoa. This would interfere with my work considerably, I have a customer  / auditor facing role in a pharmaceutical company (ironic isn't it) and the last thing I need during a grilling over how my work meets FDA requirements is the that. The only meal that agrees with me is dinner which as I mentioned varies hugely in time and location on a day to day basis, between numerous houses and eateries.

You know I am not trying to blame anyone or anything other than myself, it's purely my responsibility to take them and I'm not making enough of an effort to do so, however I do think that my lifestyle has a fair enough part to play.

I like the pill box keyring thing. I will also be asking my consultant about a different regime that does not require food as well.

But anyway onwards and upwards.

Al

thunter34:
That reg requires little more than a Snickers bar.  Seriously.  And Immodium - just a tab a day - will take care of the squits, most likely. 

I mean...more power to you, in whatever you choose.  I just remain baffled by all you folks who hopscotch from reg to reg to reg like it's nothing.

I still say:  Sort it out.  I'm sorry, but AIDS is more than an inconvenience.

But hey...it's your life.  Ya gotta do what works for you.  If that's what it takes, go for it.  My best to you.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on February 09, 2013, 03:58:17 PM ---That reg requires little more than a Snickers bar.  Seriously.  And Immodium - just a tab a day - will take care of the squits, most likely. 

I mean...more power to you, in whatever you choose.  I just remain baffled by all you folks who hopscotch from reg to reg to reg like it's nothing.

I still say:  Sort it out.  I'm sorry, but AIDS is more than an inconvenience.

But hey...it's your life.  Ya gotta do what works for you.  If that's what it takes, go for it.  My best to you.

--- End quote ---

Testify.

I routinely take my morning Isentress, Norvir and Prezista with maybe a handful of People Kibble and a glass of juice or something. Did the math, and a protein bar plus a glass of juice is almost three hundred and fifty calories. Some bread and butter can take it past 400. It's seriously not that hard to cram a pack of crackers and a glass of milk down or something.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on February 09, 2013, 02:35:41 PM ---I just take it with breakfast every day.  You're always gonna be hungry soon after getting up, right?

--- End quote ---
never! food in the morning makes me barf. A few crackers around 10 or 11, and lunch by 1 is the best I can manage.

however, I do agree very much with the rest of your post/advice/admonishment. ;) I remember when we had no regimens or very few. I've run out of regimens that were effective and had to wait on new meds to be developed. It's one thing to change a regimen because you've had an allergic reaction or your liver functions have gone off the scale. But to change regimens rather than to try to treat the side effects or to effect a behavior change for better adherence, seems short-sighted when one considers HIV treatment is a lifetime commitment and you might need those other regimens in the future.

--- Quote from: Alan_B on February 09, 2013, 03:42:55 PM ---The only meal that agrees with me is dinner which as I mentioned varies hugely in time and location on a day to day basis, between numerous houses and eateries.

--- End quote ---
that handful of food others are talking about has never been enough for me. I've always had to "cover up" my meds so they don't upset my stomach -- so it's always been a full meal for me and my meds. While many have suffered from diarrhea, vomiting has always been my achilles heel. Many regimens made me literally throw up daily, and getting to a regimen that had me only throwing up 4-6 times a month was a godsend! Even now 8 yrs on this regimen, I'm still barfing 1-2 times a month - but that so beats 30X a month!

So I've always gone with dinner for my meds - and it sounds like you could too. I mean as long as you're eating dinner in the same half of the day every day, and taking your meds then, you should be just fine. A few hours either direction isn't going to mean much in a daily dosing regimen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version