Main Forums > Living With HIV

Regularly missing meds

(1/8) > >>

Alan_B:
Righto folks,

I've been doing abit of reading into this but just wanted some opinions.

I'm currently on Truvada, Norvir and Prezista which I have to take with food (dinner sized portion), otherwise the contents of my stomach etc decide to make a quick bid for freedom. Fair enough.

Problem is I am regularly missing doses of my meds due to my slightly hectic lifestyle. I live in one house 4 days a week and spend the other days between 2 other houses. Don't ask. I do not have a fixed time for dinner etc from Fri - Sunday. Basically to cut a long story short I am missing at lease 1 dose per week, and on one occasion 4 doses in a row.

When I am at my own house it is easy to remember to take them, they sit on my coffee table so I cannot miss them. I have stashes all over the place yet I find it a complete struggle to remember to take them when I am not in my own house. I have remembered before at bed time, but then refuse to take them because they wreck me on anything other than a full stomach. Being in my own house for more time isn't practical at the moment.

Is this often enough to give the potential for resistance?

How does everyone else cope with it?

I was previously on Atripla which I never missed a dose of bar once on purpose. Going back to Arripla definitely would improve my conformance, but I'd be a shadow of my current self.

Jeff G:
OH Dear , it sounds like what your doing is a case study in what not do in order to avoid resistance issues . You simply must take your meds consistently with at least 95 % adherence or you are in danger of running into problems .

I once stopped my meds for about 6 months and once stopped a med to try another combo only to come back to Atripla without harm . The reason this didn't mess things up was I stopped and then restarted , not a weekly hit and miss . I'm not suggesting drug holidays are are a good thing either just in case you are wondering .

Its may be a tough pill to swallow but you need to face the facts and find a way to take your meds consistently no matter what combo you settle on . Best of luck .

mecch:

--- Quote from: Alan_B on February 07, 2013, 02:05:34 PM ---
When I am at my own house it is easy to remember to take them, they sit on my coffee table so I cannot miss them. I have stashes all over the place yet I find it a complete struggle to remember to take them when I am not in my own house. I have remembered before at bed time, but then refuse to take them because they wreck me on anything other than a full stomach. Being in my own house for more time isn't practical at the moment.

--- End quote ---

Up to you to decide to include adherence in your hectic schedule, or pay the price.

If you have a smart phone, you can put it on alarm for approximately dinner time. Even if your dinner time changes, it will be a reminder to take them, when in fact you eat. 

Think up other tricks that will push you to remember to take them when you are eating. 

Call me skeptical.  Missing 4 doses that one time, that seems more than forgetfulness.  Seems rather on purpose, or purposefully careless at least.

What little reminders can you come up with for the second house, to take the pills at dinner time?  What about something really simple.  A little card that you keep in your pocket, a fresh one each week, and you tick off each dose each day.  If its always in your pocket, I bet you won't forget why its there.

wolfter:
Most of us LTS simply cope with it by taking our meds.  Many of us were on meds that required that we take them every 4 hours and did so in order to live.  I think there's a different dynamic at play here that needs addressed.

You've identified the problem, now personalize it and then resolve it.

Best of luck

Wolfie

newt:
Ok,

On the 95% adherence, that is old. Good but old, and from a prison study. << which begs the question, why didn't people take all their meds in the study for they were supervised? It's probably 90% for this combination (for most people) which is 1 in 10 days missed.

Late, well this combo, thanks to the fabulous pharmokinetics of boosted Prezista, has a very wide margin or error, erm, or lateness as it is usually known. Maybe within +36 hours of the previous dose is good enough.

So, 1 x day sometime will work if you take the meds 9 in 10 days. If things are going to get hectic take it early. Is lunchtime ever so hectic and impossible that there isn't a 6 hour window for meds? Even if some days lunch becomes breakfast this works?

With a snack bar or sommat, or even a cappuccino.

Is that impossible?

Also, dour note, life is to be enjoyed, but it is enjoyed less with a demanding combination necessary to overcome resistance.

The proof of adequate adherence is a consistently suppressed viral load ("undetectable"), but beware of sharpening up your med taking prior to getting bloods done and therefore deceiving yourself.

- matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version