HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

What are chances of false negative?

(1/2) > >>

underthesun:
After high risk condom broke 5 years ago with prostitute (Ejaculated inside). Recent blood tests negative 2 times normal elisa antibody. The problem that worries me is having multiple symptoms same as hiv/aids.

Main symptoms: Lymph nodes, Dirahea, Vomit, Skin Pimple, bluur vision.... many more.

I met a doctor, after I told my history + hiv blood test results, he said all are hiv symptoms and adviced me to have blood test in another 3 months. (he said, hiv tests are not very accurate sometimes)

He said in my body, there are also lympnodes inside. That's hiv symptoms.

Ann:
Sun,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

If you had been infected five years ago, your recent hiv test would have come back positive, without doubt. False negatives only happen when the test is done too early in the window period (three months).

I suggest you find another doctor who will look for other causes of your symptoms. Hiv has already been conclusively ruled out as a possible cause.

You were never likely to end up hiv positive as the insertive partner following a one-time condom break anyway.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

underthesun:
Thanks Ann for your reply.
I've been having these symptoms for more than a year and and still developing and seems getting worst everyday.

1. My 2 tests are antibody-only (elisa), Should I test Antigen as well?

2. Lab in the city, other than antibody (Elisa) they have PCR and Western Blood. Should I request one of it to make sure?

3. So many things I've read that can cause false negatives such as:
  - Rare Group/Subtype of HIV virus,
  - Weak Immune system,
  - Late Stage of HIV
Do you think it's possible I can fall into one of this type? any chance?

4. Thanks for always answer to this forum, but I'm sorry may I ask if you are a doctor or have you worked closely with hiv?
I want to trust someone, but I don't know where to go right now :(

jkinatl2:
1. Primary HIV symptoms DO NOT LAST for a year.

2. An ELISA test at three months is considered definitive.

3. PCR tests are not recommended, as they run a risk of false positive. If you absolutely need to have another ELISA/WB combo test run, for your peace of mind, then by all means go ahead. I suspect you will have trouble believing it at this point.

a) The current tests account for every known strain of the virus, even the strains that seem to have isolated themselves in remote areas on the African continent.

b) By "weakened immune system" we mean "people who are undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, which essentially destroys the immune system and totally inhibits the body's ability to form antibodies until that immune system reboots." I think you would know if you were going through chemo, and if you had a genetically inoperative immune system you would likely not have survived into adulthood.

c) If someone is on his deathbed after  years of AIDS-related infections, s/he might not be able to produce antibodies anymore. You are not that person.

You had a VERY SMALL risk, and in my ten years of doing risk assessment on this forum I have yet to see an insertive partner seroconvert after a condom break. Your risk was hardly worth testing over, except as a true peace of mind precaution.

In short, you simply don't have HIV.

underthesun:
"1. Primary HIV symptoms DO NOT LAST for a year. "

I mean, Not the primary hiv symptoms. I mean the symptoms of late stage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version