Main Forums > Living With HIV

Yet another poo topic...

<< < (2/6) > >>

buginme2:

--- Quote from: weasel on February 01, 2013, 11:44:04 PM ---

Weasel .

P.S.   Just got back from a   300 mile round  trip to my I.D, Doctor  ???

--- End quote ---

Wow. 300 miles.  Sometimes I get annoyed when I have to take the metro downtown to go to the doctor cuz "it's such a hassle."  Doesn't compare to a 300 mile trip.

Lobo.....good to hear your crapping like a normal person.

Ann:

--- Quote from: LoboDog on February 01, 2013, 08:58:24 PM ---
After 4 years of diarrhea, I finally had a normal bm... I just needed to share this tiny little victory.

--- End quote ---

I hear you loud and clear. I also celebrate the days when I have a normal bm. I do a little happy dance outside the bathroom door when I'm finished. ;D

Sounds like you were already suffering from hiv-related dire-rear, which I also have through the years. It sucks that your first doctor put you on Kaletra (yes, may he rot in hell indeed!).

I finally went on meds (after many years of stable numbers) but I knew it was unlikely that it would do anything to alleviate the diarrhea and I was right. My only fear was that the low-dose Norvir (Prezista, Norvir, Truvada) would make it worse and it did for the first week or two, but things have settle back down to how they were before.

I can't take imodium (it makes me super nauseous) but I do take a varying amount of dihydrocodeine (30-150mgs) to keep it under control. I was afraid at first that I'd have to up my codeine dose, but if anything, I've been able to reduce it a bit.

--- Quote from: buginme2 on February 02, 2013, 12:53:35 AM ---Wow. 300 miles.  Sometimes I get annoyed when I have to take the metro downtown to go to the doctor cuz "it's such a hassle."  Doesn't compare to a 300 mile trip.

--- End quote ---

I wonder what you'd think of having to get up at 4am* in order to fly across the Irish Sea to get to your hiv appointments. And not getting home again until around 9pm.

I'm happy enough to do it, because the quality-of-care where the alternative is concerned is absolute crap, even though it would only mean two 20 minute bus rides as opposed to three-plus hours each way of taxis and flights, including time spent hanging around in airports. My health is worth the inconvenience.

*Part of the reason I get up nearly two hours before my taxi arrives (@5:45am) is so I can get the morning's diarrhea out of the way before I'm stuck in a taxi or airplane.

LoboDog:

--- Quote from: weasel on February 01, 2013, 11:44:04 PM ---
  If your MEDS make you have   diarrhea    GET TO THE I.D. DOCTOR AND TELL THEM TO  CHANGE YOUR MEDS !

--- End quote ---

With my first doc, I begged, pleaded, etc to change me. He said that it was working and he wouldn't do it. To this day I don't understand his reluctance. I am open to take any of the meds... I just think he was a quack.

Like Weasel says though... tell your doctor to make the switch... if you don't get help that way, switch your doc.

LoboDog:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on February 01, 2013, 09:50:20 PM ---Just curious -- didn't you guys use imodium/loperamide when on Kaletra? I think I took 8-10/day but at least it prevented daily diarrhea.

--- End quote ---

I tried everything... imodium makes me gassy and doesn't solve it. The last thing I wanted was to be gassy with explosive diarrhea. Very very very bad combination. You don't know whether to toot, poop, laugh or cry...

Miss Philicia:
If the choice is annoying flatulence or crapping in my pants in a public space then the decision isn't really difficult for me.

As far as changing to another HIV regimen to solve the problem unfortunately at the time I had no other alternative until something new was FDA approved. That ultimately meant taking Kaletra for something like five years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version