Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

CD4 Only Needed Once A Year When UD, Another Study Says

<< < (2/11) > >>

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: Newguy on February 01, 2013, 07:31:59 PM ---I was diagnosed last year and I decided to make own system regarding doctors appointments. Instead of going to see the doctor every three months which I hate, he gave me a stack of blood requisition forms. I can walk in to any blood drawing lab clinic and get my panel done. I due this every six months or so. The deal is that if there is a problem my doctor will call and he hasn't called yet so I assume everything is going alright. I have no idea what my numbers are. But I kinda of like it this way. He said it is a new approach but he respects my wishes and totally supports it. As long as I take my meds, he said there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

In a strange way it kinda of normalizes the experience, like I don't really have HIV but I do? Popping the pills is fine but when I go to the doctor that is when it hits me that I really have HIV.

Best to all!

--- End quote ---

If its working for you then who is to say other wise . I prefer to have that one on one interaction with all my doctors . I have found that my involvement and discussions with my HIV doctor has saved me allot of heartache down the road and over the many years I have caught more than a few things that needs to be addressed that wouldn't have been caught if I hadn't been there to ask questions . A good doctor patient relationship is more than just medicine and labs , far more in my estimation . Best of luck ! .

Newguy:

--- Quote from: jg1962 on February 01, 2013, 08:38:31 PM ---If its working for you then who is to say other wise . I prefer to have that one on one interaction with all my doctors . I have found that my involvement and discussions with my HIV doctor has saved me allot of heartache down the road and over the many years I have caught more than a few things that needs to be addressed that wouldn't have been caught if I hadn't been there to ask questions . A good doctor patient relationship is more than just medicine and labs , far more in my estimation . Best of luck ! .

--- End quote ---

Agreed! And this is why HIV is an incredibly odd condition. Has there ever been a condition that affects everyone differently? From sero conversion to treatment. There is no consistent result. This is why patient care needs to be tailored to the individual. And what I have learned with this infection is that the more you know the better. Of course this should be the same with all things but like I said, I tailored my treatment my way. It is what helps me cope and deal with the virus. But others need that face to face interaction and that is fine too. I actually cant wait for a home CD4/viral machine where you can just do it yourself and avoid the medical experience all together save the meds.

Best to all!

J

phildinftlaudy:
I definitely don't agree with this study...
Seeing as my CD4s have fallen by more than 700 in the last 9 months while still remaining UD....

As a matter of fact, doc has already said that if next labs (which I get Feb 20th and results on March 6th) have fallen any lower while still remaining UD - she will be ordering additional tests/referrals to check for leukemia/lymphoma as these are typically the only conditions she has seen that will cause a continued CD4 drop, while remaining UD, with a corresponding increase in % of lymphocite...

While I could see twice a year - I think there are too many factors that can "pop up" that negates only getting them done one time a year.

Newguy:

--- Quote from: phildinftlaudy on February 01, 2013, 09:35:11 PM ---I definitely don't agree with this study...
Seeing as my CD4s have fallen by more than 700 in the last 9 months while still remaining UD....

As a matter of fact, doc has already said that if next labs (which I get Feb 20th and results on March 6th) have fallen any lower while still remaining UD - she will be ordering additional tests/referrals to check for leukemia/lymphoma as these are typically the only conditions she has seen that will cause a continued CD4 drop, while remaining UD, with a corresponding increase in % of lymphocite...

While I could see twice a year - I think there are too many factors that can "pop up" that negates only getting them done one time a year.

--- End quote ---

Like I said in my previous point a very strange infection indeed? You are UD and your CD4's have dropped? very strange indeed. Good luck with that and I hope it works out!

I hope you do not have lymphoma or leukemia.

Good Luck

Jeff G:
Newguy ... I do truly hope you remain healthy but please keep in mind that even doctors needs a doctor from time to time . I understand you are trying to minimize the inconveniences that comes with living with HIV but I feel you may be in denial if you think you can manage HIV without the guidance of a doctor . I do hope that others wont make the same choice as you have ... I rather doubt many will make the same choice but just in case I thought it worth the effort to comment on .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version