Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

CD4 Only Needed Once A Year When UD, Another Study Says

<< < (3/11) > >>

phildinftlaudy:
Just to add to my previous post - and also to affirm what Jeff has said -
Being HIV+ creates highly volatile situations in many people... at the same time, we also have a benefit.... In getting regular labs done, we are able to identify many problems (many not even HIV related) that other people without our condition may not identify for years or until they are way out of control....

So, while it may seem, at times, like people with HIV have more health issues than those without, my thought is that we are just made aware of potential health issues earlier than those who only visit the doctor once a year (or even less - like when something goes wrong).

Regular labs help us to know our bodies response and personal medical "normalcy" better ---- when something is off kilter, we are in a great position to identify it early.

My doctor didn't notice the downward trend in my CD4s, increase in lymphocites, decrease in CD4%, while remaining UD - but I did... I also knew that I had two hospitalizations during the same 9 month period - as well as a general feeling of "not feeling right."

Knowing our labs, being atuned to them on a regular basis - as well as knowing our own personal normal, puts us in a much better position to bring issues/trends to the attention of our doctors - who are normally only looking at the latest lab readings. To me, this is the strongest form of person advocacy and control I can take of my own health and shows my investment in my medical condition and care.

buginme2:

--- Quote from: Newguy on February 01, 2013, 09:04:45 PM ---Agreed! And this is why HIV is an incredibly odd condition. Has there ever been a condition that affects everyone differently? From sero conversion to treatment. There is no consistent result.

J

--- End quote ---

Yes, in fact every disease/condition out there doesn't affect everyone exactly the same.  My high cholesterol may cause me to have a heart attack and your high cholesterol may not.   My cancer may be fatal and yours may go into remission.  How exactly is HIV different?

Your reasoning that HIV affects everyone differently is precisely the reason why you should see your doctor one on with with a regular frequency.  That way you can manage your disease, as you may be one of the unlucky ones.

Newguy:

--- Quote from: jg1962 on February 01, 2013, 10:06:05 PM ---Newguy ... I do truly hope you remain healthy but please keep in mind that even doctors needs a doctor from time to time . I understand you are trying to minimize the inconveniences that comes with living with HIV but I feel you may be in denial if you think you can manage HIV without the guidance of a doctor . I do hope that others wont make the same choice as you have ... I rather doubt many will make the same choice but just in case I thought it worth the effort to comment on .

--- End quote ---

Hi jg1962

My doctor is very much in charge! Nothing in my post seems to suggest otherwise. There is no deed to go physically see my doctor every three months. It is a waste of time, emotion and money. Let me guide you with how it works. He gave me blood panel requisite forms. These order the type of tests I need. From CD4 counts to Viral load counts to sugar, fats, liver all that crap. Every 6 months or so I walk into a private blood drawing clinic. They are a dime a dozen and are everywhere in the country. I don't pay anything instead I show them my health card and they charge the government. They take 8 vials of blood. They send them to the appropriate testing centers and the results go back to my doctor. He analyzes them and if there is no problem he does not call me. How is this different from taking a day off, driving to the doctor, paying for parking, waiting in the waiting room and having him sit me down and say everything is fine?

This is the new direction of HIV treatment. Although it is still a serious problem, you want to make the experience as easy as possible. This in itself is treatment. As long as I get my blood work done I think everything is fine. If freeing my doctor gives him more time in the lab doing research or helping other people more in need. And trust me there are much more in need than I totally support a system like this. Doctors are not psychologists they are there to fix you not make you feel better. And mine does exactly that. I have friends with HIV that see their doctors for an hour at one appointment. And I ask them what do they possibly discuss for an hour? They seem to never remember.

Best

Newguy:

--- Quote from: phildinftlaudy on February 01, 2013, 10:18:49 PM ---Just to add to my previous post - and also to affirm what Jeff has said -
Being HIV+ creates highly volatile situations in many people... at the same time, we also have a benefit.... In getting regular labs done, we are able to identify many problems (many not even HIV related) that other people without our condition may not identify for years or until they are way out of control....

So, while it may seem, at times, like people with HIV have more health issues than those without, my thought is that we are just made aware of potential health issues earlier than those who only visit the doctor once a year (or even less - like when something goes wrong).

Regular labs help us to know our bodies response and personal medical "normalcy" better ---- when something is off kilter, we are in a great position to identify it early.

My doctor didn't notice the downward trend in my CD4s, increase in lymphocites, decrease in CD4%, while remaining UD - but I did... I also knew that I had two hospitalizations during the same 9 month period - as well as a general feeling of "not feeling right."

Knowing our labs, being atuned to them on a regular basis - as well as knowing our own personal normal, puts us in a much better position to bring issues/trends to the attention of our doctors - who are normally only looking at the latest lab readings. To me, this is the strongest form of person advocacy and control I can take of my own health and shows my investment in my medical condition and care.

--- End quote ---

If you ready the study correctly I believe 95% of people were in fact quite stable for the decade they monitored the study so I don't know where you are getting your highly volatile stats from. Hopefully not this site. Although this is great site remember most people tend to post negative experiences rather than positive ones. That is human nature.

Best

phildinftlaudy:
New... the problem I see with this approach, is that your doc is not looking for trends.... your doc is looking at ranges specified as normal ranges - and is not going to be cognizant of your own personal normal.  Especially, since most doctors have hundreds of patients....

For example... my body temperature runs around 96.5 degrees (not the "normal" 98.6).... when I see the doc because I am not feeling well, and the nurse says the temperature reading is only "slightly" above normal (at 99.8 degrees) - I know that this is not normal for me and that I have a fever (if a "normal" person has 98.6 and has a 102 temperature - the doc would say they have a fever.... but in my case, if I don't inform a new nurse of my "normal" reading he/she does not know...

Fortunately, from going to my doc regularly, they are aware of my normal temperature reading and know that my fever threshold is lower than the "average."  As a matter of fact, having this information, was why the my doctor ordered me to be held in the hospital for two extra days in September. The hospital doc thought my temperature was close enough to normal and was going to discharge me; however, after consulting with my doc and hearing what MY normal temp is, they decided to hold me - as I still had a significant fever according to my average temp.

Regular labs, seeing the doc allows them to get familiar with YOU specifically and not "ranges" or averages that may not apply to you.

But, it is your choice - I am just providing some guidance and knowledge based on having HIV for a bit over 4 years now and seeing how important it is to stay in tune w/ labs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version