Main Forums > Living With HIV

US Immigration - Ongoing Delay on Entry

<< < (2/3) > >>

Miss Philicia:
Wouldn't it make more sense to try and have someone in the visa section/consular affairs of the US embassy in London address this? They're the ones that fucked things up in the first place, didn't they? I just think a personal appearance is going to do more than a letter writing campaign.

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on January 30, 2013, 12:42:36 PM ---Wouldn't it make more sense to try and have someone in the visa section/consular affairs of the US embassy in London address this? They're the ones that fucked things up in the first place, didn't they? I just think a personal appearance is going to do more than a letter writing campaign.

--- End quote ---

He's not in London. Not even close.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on January 30, 2013, 05:37:23 PM ---He's not in London. Not even close.

--- End quote ---

Well, whatever woman -- he said that's where he went to get the original visa. If he lives in another country currently last time I checked the US is fairly good at having an embassy in most countries. But hey, write a letter!

HvHol:
Thanks for the further reply Ann.  I am going to write an email in the first instance and will also send to the Dept. of Homeland Security as you suggest (thanks for the link). I'm away from home at present on holiday, but will also pop in the mail when I am home and have my printer to hand.

I'm genuinely pleased that the travel ban was lifted, so I will mention that in my letter (as you suggest a bit of sucking up can't hurt), but in all honesty it is a good result as the travel ban contributed to the stigma.  I also remember being so scared that my employer would find out when I had to apply for the visa. 

It's great news on the marriage equality isn't it? Let's just hope it gets through the Houses of Parliament now with no concessions.  At least the Prime Minister is backing it, especially given his party's awful track record on gay rights. I am pleased he didn't play to his party on this one issue at least.

Miss Philicia - I live in England, but in the north, so London is 4 hours away (at best).  Whilst not in itself a problem, an embassy visit requires a pre-booked appointment and the premium rate reservation line is for visa appointments only.  Plus on my previous visits, the appointments were early, meaning I'd leave the day before, stay in a hotel in order to get there for the morning queue/line etc. I may still write to the embassy as well to ask for their advice. 

Unfortunately, 2 full days spent in the embassy previously has made it a place I never want to return to unless I really need to.  I felt like a criminal being interviewed.  Probably all embassies are awful places, including the UK's, but regardless it wasn't an experience I want to repeat.

Regards
Hunter

Ann:
Hunter, I hear you regarding the embassy in London. While I haven't been there myself, my daughter has and her experience wasn't nice either. She has dual nationality but had to go there to apply for a visa to study in the US (part of an exchange program at her uni) and it was an expensive, unpleasant trip.

She also felt like a criminal being interviewed and she doesn't even have hiv nor a criminal record of any sort. She had to stay over two nights as well, because we live in the Isle of Man and she was doing this during the summer. In the end Miami University made her travel on her US passport anyway, so it was a wasted trip (it was the uni in Leicester that told her to get a visa). How I love red-tape - NOT!

Yeah, Cameron has been a big surprise where gay rights are concerned. I'm sure he's made a lot of Tory enemies who would just love to stab him in the back. I really do hope this clears through the HoP (with no concessions, as you say) - and it should, considering the majority of public opinion is behind marriage equality. We all know that politicians don't necessarily represent their constituents, but I've got high hopes for this being approved.

Please keep us updated on how things go. :)

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version