HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Testing question, "home kits"

(1/1)

paulbred:
I ordered 3 different testing kits (one oral swap and two blood-based tests). All three came out NEGATIVE (one line).

Yet since the documentation was in Chinese (I can't read it), I am not sure if i followed the procedures correctly and now I am freaking out.

Both blood tests same scenario: I dropped one drop of blood and one drop of the other liquid - no reaction for 5-6 minutes. Then I dropped both times another drop of blood and another drop of the liquid until I could see that the stripe started developing. Both came out negative after a few more minutes.

The oral test: I did the mistake to touch the swap with my hands, even tried to remove it, since it seemed too big in order to get into the container. After I realized that i didn't have to remove it, i performed the test and got again a negative result (one line).

My question now is, due to my stupidity: What are the odds that I did something wrong? Can I trust those results or not?

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: paulbred on January 25, 2013, 09:24:29 PM ---I ordered 3 different testing kits (one oral swap and two blood-based tests). All three came out NEGATIVE (one line).

Yet since the documentation was in Chinese (I can't read it), I am not sure if i followed the procedures correctly and now I am freaking out.

Both blood tests same scenario: I dropped one drop of blood and one drop of the other liquid - no reaction for 5-6 minutes. Then I dropped both times another drop of blood and another drop of the liquid until I could see that the stripe started developing. Both came out negative after a few more minutes.

The oral test: I did the mistake to touch the swap with my hands, even tried to remove it, since it seemed too big in order to get into the container. After I realized that i didn't have to remove it, i performed the test and got again a negative result (one line).

My question now is, due to my stupidity: What are the odds that I did something wrong? Can I trust those results or not?

--- End quote ---

As this is a risk assessment site, I have to ask what was your risk?

Also, since the home tests have been approved for sale since November in the USA, I am a little perplexed at the Chinese issue. Are you posting from the US?

paulbred:
My risk was minimal, e.g. Non-protected receiving and performing oral (hetero). I am currently in China, thats why i took those home tests.

I try to understand the logic behind those tests. If i get a negative result, can i be relaxed? Even though i first added a little blood, then the fluid, waited for 5 minutes, nothing happened and then again one drop if blood and some fluid.

How sure can i be based on the test?

Ann:
Paul,

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection. Getting a blowjob isn't a risk. Giving a woman oral isn't a risk. NO RISK.

It's no surprise you had negative results - you didn't have a risk.

Test kits that can be purchased for home use outside the US are generally prone to false positive results, not false negatives. You can take your negative results as correct.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER ORAL ACTIVITIES, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version