Off Topic Forums > Forums Gatherings

AMG Chicago Attendance

<< < (30/33) > >>

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on June 24, 2013, 11:19:11 AM ---
Is Amtrak really that much cheaper via NYC to DC or were you planning on spending time in NY anyway?

--- End quote ---

My friends that I just visited in France are taking a trip to Hawaii, but stopping for a few days in NYC. Plus my oldest niece has a 2 month internship with Kate Spade so I wanted to kill several birds with one stone. I always stay in my old apartment in downtown Brooklyn, and as luck would have it my ex-roommate and her husband won't be there half of the time that I'm in NYC, so I'll have the place to myself the last two days.  I'm only in NYC for five days, then the DC part is to go visit my parents because I haven't seen them since Christmas. I'll stay with them a week, and then they will drive me back here to Philly though I'm trying to convince them to stay a couple of nights and do something like go here: http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

Which, by the way, you'd absolutely love. I've been to Longwood once for their Christmas display (amazing!) but would also like to go here: http://www.thebrandywine.com/attractions/nemours.html

Both Longwood and Nemours were done by the famous Du Pont family and are a mere 35 miles away from my apartment.

ps: a close friend of mine may be renting a house in the Hamptons at the end of July so I may be getting another freebie out of that one. And I've been to the house -- owned by an Sotheby's upper type person and very nice, with a vintage convertible Rolls in the garage. I've even driven it!

pps: usually when I travel to NYC I don't take Amtrak -- I take the Philly commuter train to Trenton, NJ and then switch to a NJ Transit train to NY Penn station. I get a "disability" discount for the Philly portion. I forget what it comes to, but something like $22 one way but it's also much longer. Amtrak, and not the high speed line just the normal one, takes 1 hour 25 minutes but the other method I just described is at least an hour longer, but even that cheapest Amtrak option is twice the other option, so I usually go the cheap route because I'm not in a hurry. But because I was also booking the NYC-DC train I just did it all on Amtrak also knowing my parents will shove some money in my pocket for the expense. Because my schedule was flexible I managed to find a $36 fare to NYC and $49 for the NYC-DC one (which is really cheap for that route).

oksikoko:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on June 24, 2013, 12:57:43 PM ---My friends that I just visited in France are taking a trip to Hawaii, but stopping for a few days in NYC.

--- End quote ---

NYC must be wonderful this time of year. In fact, it was a lovely 95 degrees today, which translates to roughly 4,100,000 Kelvin. Smelled rosey, too. Bring a parasol.

aztecan:
I have been to several AMGs, and I can safely say we have always had a great time and met wonderful people.
I also have done things and gone places I never would have dreamed of going without my AMG family, such as Mexico City, which I truly loved. I am still in contact with one person I met there.
We have a great group.
Piscean, you are most welcome. Having someone who knows the territory is always a plus, and you will meet some fun, and often amazing, people.

HUGS,

Mark

Basquo:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on June 23, 2013, 09:56:03 PM ---Basqou, do you have a link to the article? Would love to read it!

--- End quote ---

It's a rather short read. The original concept was an online feature, pretty detailed, but when it was decided to put it in the magazine they had me cut it down to 500 words. I was helped by Andy, Peter, and then-Deputy Editor Bob Ickes to get it how you see it today. There were pictures that ran with it in the magazine. Me, Aztecan, Jan and Bonnie...all there in color! One of my ex's and a misplaced friend got in touch with me after they saw the magazine.

http://www.poz.com/articles/postcard_from_the_edge_2201_14804.shtml

mitch777:

--- Quote from: Basquo on June 25, 2013, 08:42:20 PM ---It's a rather short read. The original concept was an online feature, pretty detailed, but when it was decided to put it in the magazine they had me cut it down to 500 words. I was helped by Andy, Peter, and then-Deputy Editor Bob Ickes to get it how you see it today. There were pictures that ran with it in the magazine. Me, Aztecan, Jan and Bonnie...all there in color! One of my ex's and a misplaced friend got in touch with me after they saw the magazine.

http://www.poz.com/articles/postcard_from_the_edge_2201_14804.shtml

--- End quote ---

Thank you Creighton!
Your 500 words were perfect.
No wonder why people from your past got back in touch with you. :)
What a sweet story. :'( :) :) :)

ps- btw, I hope to meet you at AMG next year?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version