HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

UK Question: If you don't disclose and the condom breaks?

<< < (3/3)

Ann:
Blue,

It's a shame you didn't bother to read our rules here before you started posting in forums where you're not permitted to post and used up your three free Am I Infected forum posts.

Unless you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, then you're most likely worrying over nothing. Hiv isn't an easy virus to transmit and it's more difficult to transmit to the insertive partner. As you say you're straight, I feel it's safe to assume you haven't been anally penetrated.

You say this incident happened in November, so you should go to your nearest GUM clinic and get an antibody test now. You don't need RNA testing at this point and you most likely wouldn't be offered one on the NHS anyway. They are not stand-alone diagnostic tests.

You don't need to ask for any specific type of antibody test other than an hiv test. GUM clinics don't let you pick and choose - they give you the type of test they have available. The generation of test doesn't matter at this point in your window period anyway.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week (or more) negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

Symptoms, or even the lack of symptoms, will NEVER tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will. Just go test and get it over with. Don't wait around for February.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version