HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Help pretty confused

<< < (6/7) > >>

Notsureaboutmyname:
Well I got my rectal chlamydia and gonorrhea results back and they are negative. All this puts me a bit more at ease. I know everyone says I would know if I was raped rectaly but just the thought of the night scares me to death. So, getting negative results for those two calms me a bit.

I went to a doctor who is familiar with PEP and was very confident about the regime and the timeframe I started in. I even contacted the San Fransico clinic before I could find someone to talk to and it sounds like they have great success when it come to PEP. I can't even begin to describe how kind the San Fransico clinic was. It was nice just getting direction from someone tangible, not that you all arnt great but it's nice to hear a voice and sadly it's been a bit rough in Arizona.

Anyways I have a meeting with a therapist on Tuesday but I am looking for someone that deals more in crisis as I have been having some major panic and worry attacks.

Notsureaboutmyname:
Hi All,

So, the past 4 months have been rough...particularly mentally. As hard as one try to not read the forums you cant help it. I have even paid to get some advice on my test from those ask the doctor forums. It just seemed to help to talk to someone about it. My doc here seemed to think after pep and my first negative I was fine. I have tried not to over test, but i wanted to know, and i've been going to therapy but the result has become part of my recovery from everything. I would like to avoid what was brought up before, well because if you really want to know you can read up on it. Of course i can answer questions regarding it, but i wanted to give an update and also ask you all a few questions.

so please bear with me...I really do thank you all for your time.

my first test was about a week after pep. the result was negative...my doctor and even someone who was very knowledgable on pep and hiv thought i should rest assured. i also tested for hepb and hcv and syphilis and it was all negative.

my second test was about 2 weeks later and was an hiv rna pcr. i know how much everyone hear disagrees with using the pcr as a test but i so wanted an answer. this also came out negative. it was undetectable basically under 20 copies. At this point both doc said i was conclusively hiv negative.

now to my third was a finger prick rapid at about a month. this was negative but i still was worried about everything. also to let you know this is when i really stepped up my counseling to about once a week...ugh i sound like a complete nut job.

so i then had another elisa 3rd generation test done at about the two month mark. this was also negative.

this now leads me to my 89 day or 3 month post pep test. at first i had another rapid finger prick and the result was negative but something made me feel uneasy about how rushed the testing seemed. i think i went to the doc at a busy period and they had to squeeze me in because of a scheduling mix up. so a few days later i had another 3rd generation elisa and full hepb and hcv screen. thankfully everything came back negative.

so that is all the testing i have done...i may have even left one out to save you guys the pain:) So i see that this forum and about every guideline other than the cdc and who say that the three month test is conclusive. can i rest easy? also, why do you think the cdc and who say a repeat test at six months? i would imagine the who is because not every location in the world has a labcorp down the way, and is the cdc guideline just conservative? the bassh guidelines and australia seem to be a bit more up to date.

so im sure you guys are bored to death by those questions but as much as i have tried not to read everything, i unfortunately have.

but is it safe to say im ok with my 3 month test? and i wanted to just give an update to my ordeal.

also a hello to you all. i have tried to be good about worrying my self sick but late at night i would find my self reading this bored and all the others. i just wanted to thank you all for helping people with the fears that a possible exposure can bring. i have found mine in particular to be crippling, and i have found sharing my situation with you all to be therapeutic.

Andy Velez:
At 89 days post-Pep your negative result is absolutely conclusive. You are HIV negative. Period.

Now it's time for you to stop with the what-ifs and handwringing drama and get on with your life.

HIV is not a problem for you at this point. You need to make a determined effort to put this behind you and get on with your life. It's just that simple.

Notsureaboutmyname:
Thank you Andy, and yeah I need to calm down. With the therapy and anxiety I know I can be a pain. It just makes me feel a bit better to talk about things. I know that this forum isn't the most appropriate place, and that the what-ifs need to stop. It's just been a very hard time in my life and my support other than family has been a bit disapointing. The people I have gone to for help haven't been the best. It's been a lesson in vunrability for myself and others, and how people handle it.

I am sorry about that post filled with typos it just helps to be able to talk to someone about it. Most of my friends or past friends are straight males and I kind of was dropped like a bag of bricks.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Notsureaboutmyname on May 26, 2013, 05:41:28 PM ---Thank you Andy, and yeah I need to calm down. With the therapy and anxiety I know I can be a pain. It just makes me feel a bit better to talk about things. I know that this forum isn't the most appropriate place, and that the what-ifs need to stop. It's just been a very hard time in my life and my support other than family has been a bit disappointing. The people I have gone to for help haven't been the best. It's been a lesson in vulnerability for myself and others, and how people handle it.

I am sorry about that post filled with typos it just helps to be able to talk to someone about it. Most of my friends or past friends are straight males and I kind of was dropped like a bag of bricks.

--- End quote ---

You have been through a lot, that's for sure. And you know something? Now that HIV is totally off the table (it is. No really) you can focus on the real healing that needs to be done.

Don't write off all straight males because your "friends" vanished. Now you know who you have in your life, who you REALLY have to count amongst your true friends. Maybe some housecleaning was overdue. There will be other friends. Gay, straight, male, female, whatever. Get out and find them. Make sure they care about the real you - as much as you care about them.

And continue with the therapy! It's not for the weak-hearted, and you will emerge a stronger, better version of yourself.

You deserve happiness, health, and peace of mind. Of course, we don't always get all these on the same days - so you deserve the strength to hold out on the days when one or more is lacking. You can absolutely get there.

As for other sites and the six month thing, I dunno what to tell you. We at AIDSMEDS periodically check peer-reviewed sites like aegis.com to see if there is news on the transmission front, such as testing windows and studies and the like. Sadly, not everyone does this, and it really shows when dealing with a disease like HIV where we have seen HUGE strides in treatment and prevention in the last decade or so. The "set it and forget it" theory of some health-related websites serves their populations poorly, and perpetuates misinformation, distrust, far and stigma. Better to have half a dozen reputable, evolving sites than hundreds of crap ones in my opinion.

And when I rule the internets, all that will change.

But until then, thanks for checking back in here. Glad to see that HIV is out of the picture as regards your incident. Obligatory use a condom for penetrative sex speech goes here.

There is a saying that goes "you are going to be OK the second you realize that you know you will be OK." It starts within you. I really have faith you are going to get there. Past there, even.

Take care.

*modified for spellcheck, and to remind you that typos are no big deal :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version