HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Help pretty confused

(1/7) > >>

Notsureaboutmyname:
So, I will keep this short as it is all a bit much for me to handle. I never bottom, I have once and it was ok but I remember feeling it even the day after. With that being said I am afraid I was roofied and raped. I will go into details later as it's still very upsetting and confusing. My question is if I was forcibly penetrated even blacked out wouldn't I feel it the next day? Wouldn't I? Someone tried but I put a stop to it and ran to the bathroom and fainted in a state of terror.

This whole nightmare took place in the matter of 30 to 40 minutes and all I remember are flash backs that just make me sick. Out of the flash backs non are of me getting fucked, but the people I left the bar with are abvously the worst kind of people.

Another question I have regards my PeP regime, which I started roughly 40 hours after the incident. The meds seem like the regular three pill deal zidovudine 300mg twice a day, lamivudine 150 mg twice a day, and then I take 2 pills of kaletra twice a day. Do you feel I made it to the er in time? I have no one to talk to and my doctor was nice but not very reassuring. I know you all seem to deal a lot with questions on PeP and transmission but I have yet to read success stories or failures. It seems like people kind of drop out. I just need someone to talk to other than my parents. Do you know people personally that PeP has worked for?

Another reason I worry is that my ass has been hurting since starting the kaletra due to the diarrhea. Do you think this is a sign of rape or just the constant side effect of the kaletra. I feel a bit uncomfortable and burning all day.

jkinatl2:
First off, I am sorry about this distressing incident. Have you reported it to the authorities? Have you investigated counseling? It seems as though there are a lot of emotions at work here.

To your specific situation - it is highly unlikely that you would be anally raped, even when unconscious, and not feel it the next day. Successful and painless anal penetration takes patience, and the efforts of BOTH partners.

Kaletra is known for causing diarrhea. And it could easily get to the point where your ass is burning and uncomfortable. Some over the counter medications (like Immodium) can help. Others swear by the calcium found in TUMS or other chewable antacids.

As to the effectiveness of PEP - assuming you were anally raped, and that the rapist had HIV and a high viral load, you made it to the ER in time. The success rate of PEP is extremely high. It is, of course, imperative that you take your pills as prescribed, at the correct time. What you are taking are the same drugs used to treat HIV infection.

Notsureaboutmyname:
Thank you for your reply. I haven't gone to the authorities as I am not sure how much i can do. I should have had a rape kit done the day i went in, shoot I should have gone in 24 hours earlier but I was so confused. It really upsets me as all I have now are the clothes I wore and a few bruises that I pray happened when I fell. My doctor said i looked ok in the area, but that was seven days later. I have no clue, and i am going to a councilor soon. I found a nice doctor who i could open up to about the experience and he gave me the number.

As much as the situation is awful and grosses me out my main concern is my health. My doctor brought up the DNA HIV test as a way to confirm if I am positive, but isn't the whole point of being on PeP to take it for the 28 day? I would hate to get a false negative or positive without giving the PeP a chance. What do you think?

From what know about anal sex is if a condom isn't used more than likely you will have diarrhea and a stomach ache, is this true? As I stated before I never bottom, and would assume even if it was gentle I would have some blood in my stool. Would you agree? Also, I know PeP works but do you know people who it has worked for? The only person I knew was a Dr in the hospital.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Notsureaboutmyname on January 25, 2013, 01:43:54 PM ---Thank you for your reply. I haven't gone to the authorities as I am not sure how much i can do. I should have had a rape kit done the day i went in, shoot I should have gone in 24 hours earlier but I was so confused. It really upsets me as all I have now are the clothes I wore and a few bruises that I pray happened when I fell. My doctor said i looked ok in the area, but that was seven days later. I have no clue, and i am going to a councilor soon. I found a nice doctor who i could open up to about the experience and he gave me the number.

As much as the situation is awful and grosses me out my main concern is my health. My doctor brought up the DNA HIV test as a way to confirm if I am positive, but isn't the whole point of being on PeP to take it for the 28 day? I would hate to get a false negative or positive without giving the PeP a chance. What do you think?

From what know about anal sex is if a condom isn't used more than likely you will have diarrhea and a stomach ache, is this true? As I stated before I never bottom, and would assume even if it was gentle I would have some blood in my stool. Would you agree? Also, I know PeP works but do you know people who it has worked for? The only person I knew was a Dr in the hospital.

--- End quote ---

Well it is a great thing to know that you are seeing a good doctor and will find someone to talk through this incident.

Insofar as PEP is concerned, a few hundred of the people who have posted here in the ten years I have been giving risk assessment on this forum have used PEP. Now to be fair, more than half didn't need it to begin with, and many even lied to the ER doctors in order to obtain it. Off the top of my head, I only recall one person who ended up testing positive, and that was someone who started PEP long after the 72 hour window has closed.

I believe one of our members here was a nurse who suffered a needle-stick injury from an HIV positive patient with a high viral load, and though she started PEP right away, she seroconverted. Like anything else in science, PEP is not a 100% guarantee. But these two incidents out of probably close to a thousand PEP treatments on this forum alone is a pretty good indication how powerful that drug regimen is in preventing HIV infection.

Which for you means that your odds of coming through this without HIV infection are astonishingly high.

As for a test while undergoing PEP, I am puzzled. The purpose of PEP is to inhibit viral replication, and prevent HIV from entering cd4 cells (and if it enters, prevent it from multiplying.) The drugs you are taking disrupt the virus on a whole lot of different levels - which is why the drugs are so effective for people who have HIV. To my best understanding, this means that no test taken before six weeks AFTER you finish the last dose of PEP would be considered valid. I hope Ann or Andy or another authorized responder can correct me if I am wrong here.

As for anal sex, It would seem that if the perpetrator used a condom, the chances for blood and torn tissue would be greater, especially if he did not use adequate lubrication. Anal sex in general tends to require much more lubrication than vaginal sex, and the added friction of a condom with an unresponsive/unwilling partner sounds like a recipe for real damage.  Of course, so does sex with an unresponsive/unwilling partner WITHOUT a condom, unless copious lubrication and great care and patience is used.

But no, anal sex with or without a condom does not necessarily cause a stomachache or diarrhea. Violent sex might do that, but it's hard to separate the clinical damage from the impact of stress on the body- and stress can absolutely cause those things.

In short, you might never know what happened (unless you or the authorities are able to find and confront witnesses or the perpetrator) but what you described to me sounds like a common reaction to the Kaletra. It's actually one of the main reasons why Kaletra is not commonly used in the US to treat HIV anymore. Having painful diarrhea for a month can be rough- having it for a lifetime becomes a real quality of life issue.

Notsureaboutmyname:
Thanks again, this is a very rough time for me right now. I am in the process of moving in with my folks as I feel very unstable and incredibly unsure.

The test my doctor want me to take is a hiv1 proviral dna test. Does this test sound familiar? I hear they are very effective but I dont want to effect or change the PeP cycle until it is finished.

Also, wondering about the Kaletra, have you experienced sudden bruises?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version