HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Terrified

(1/6) > >>

FL_Guy80:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little insight.  I had an unprotected exposure on Nov 19th, 2012.  I know symptoms don't mean anything but very strange things have been happening to me.
     Immediately afterword and for two weeks, I had an extremely itchy scrotum (assuming transferred thrush from her mouth).  As soon as that cleared up, I had a small painfull sore on the 'rim' of my penis head for about 3 days.  These things were strange but they were nothing compared to what happened during the next few weeks.
     Beginning during week four, I had extreme pain in my right groin and my right foot went numb, also had extreme nausea for 3 days, couldn't eat.  I also had a rash on my arms and thighs that looked like small sunburn splotches.  At night I had severe pain under my right and left ribs.  Week 5 I had severe pain around my kidneys while I was trying to sleep, it progressed to severe leg pain and feeling like someone smashed my first two toes on my right foot with a hammer.  Also pain continued in my groin, left armpit and under my ribs.  I also had an extremely coated tongue, a breakout of angular chelitis, a stye (never had one before) and dermititis in my beard and eyebrows.
     All these things continued, only more mild until now.  I've also had what looks like foliculitis, but they won't 'pop', when I try to pop them they turn huge and red with a long wavy red line coming out.  I woke up soaked at 3:30 am pretty much every day during week 7 & 8. 
     I'm now almost through week 10, pain from what seems like swollen nodes continues to 'pop up' all over my ribs, chest, and groin.  The pain under my left ribs is still there, but milder.  Also, the shin on my hands has been peeling terribly & dermatitis continues in my beard area.  My MD thinks I'm crazy & has moved me from Klonopin, to Librium, and now to Cymbalta + counseling.  The testing I've done is listed below.

Week 2: Lab based ELISA AB & all STDs = Neg
Week 3: Oraquick = Neg
Week 4: Oraquick = Neg
Week 6: Oraquick = Neg
Week 8: Lab based ELISA & all STDs = Neg

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

J

Ann:
FL,

It sounds as though your "unprotected exposure" was getting a blowjob and not unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

If a blowjob is what you're worried about, rather than unprotected intercourse, then you do NOT need further hiv testing as you never had a risk in the first place.

If you DID have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, then you will need to test one more time at the three month point, but your negative result is highly unlikely to change.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point - when there has actually been a risk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

FL_Guy80:
Thanks for the quick reply Ann.  I am seeing my MD again next Wednesday, exactly 10 weeks since exposure (it was more than a blowjob).  I was going to test again that morning but I think I will wait until I'm beyond 12 weeks since a negative before then won't allow me to rest.  I plan to go over all of this with her then & ask about the index # on my 8 week ELISA.  I know you guys say you've never seen an 8 week result change, I think I may be the first!  She thinks this is 'all in my head' but when the pain is waking you up from a dead sleep, I don't think so.

Ann:
FL,

"More than a blowjob"? Again, unless you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse then you're worrying over nothing. We do not deal with symptoms here, we deal in risk assessments. Unless you fully reveal what you think put you at risk, we can't really do our job properly.

You may be experiencing real pain, but hiv isn't the only illness in the world. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is actually going on. Whatever that is, it is highly unlikely to be hiv.

If the symptoms you've experienced had anything to do with hiv, you would have tested positive by now. Seriously.

Ann

FL_Guy80:
Thanks again Ann.  I really hope you are right.  Either way, I will report back with my 13 week test result.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version