Main Forums > Living With HIV

Mouth Ulcers

<< < (2/4) > >>

LiveWithIt:

--- Quote from: YellowFever on January 25, 2013, 09:47:50 PM ---Self-prescribed. These aren't sores at the edge of the lip but deep inside the inner linings of the mouth. I doubt it is Herpes as my doctor ran tests for co-infections when I first tested poz and I do not have any STDs other than HIV. But yeah, maybe a visit to the dentist is in order. Thanks!

--- End quote ---

About 80 percent of people have oral herpes 1 which is not genital herpes.  Many people get it casually as children.  I used to get those same mouth ulcers under my tongue, on my tongue, on my gums on occasion too.  I used to rinse with salt water, and take antacids, and take Tylenol to take away the discomfort.  It just had to work it's course and it was really bad sometimes for about a week.  Now I take Valtrex only when I feel one coming on and it's gone in a day or two.  The doctor even told me I can take it every day to prevent them, but I'd rather just take it when I get an outbreak.

tednlou2:
If we're talking about the same thing, I get them very frequently.  They are always at the back of my throat.  They are yellowish-white.  They can be bothersome.  I often get them more, when I am stressed.  I've found gargling with salt water seems to really help.  Last time I used too much salt, and I think that's what caused my tongue to feel like I had burned it. 

My brother is neg and gets them, too.  He actually gets big ones on the side of his tongue. 

elf:
You shouldn't be using dexamethasone for this.  :-\
Since it's an imunosupressant.

Try something with hyaluronic acid instead, like Gengigel gel.

Ann:

--- Quote from: elf on January 29, 2013, 01:54:27 PM ---You shouldn't be using dexamethasone for this.  :-\
Since it's an imunosupressant.

Try something with hyaluronic acid instead, like Gengigel gel.

--- End quote ---

Or better yet, see your doctor or dentist and get a diagnosis and a prescription fitting that diagnosis.

pittman:
A few things to try:

1) switch to a toothpaste without sodium laurel sulfate, which can be an irritant. I use biotene. This alone reduced flair ups by over 90% for me.

2) when you have a flair up, be extra diligent in brushing and flossing.

3) rinse with hydrogen peroxide, with acts as an oral debrider. That can help speed healing slightly (more effective earlier) and it can help relieve the pain.

4) swish/sip plain soda water. The carbonation can help the pain.

5) avoid citrus, pineapple and acidic foods if you feel a flair up starting or if you find it causes them.

I used to get ulcers every few weeks but now maybe 1-2 times a year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version