Main Forums > Living With HIV

Two Florida Men Accused of HIV Non Disclosure to Minor

(1/7) > >>

spacebarsux:
Two men in Florida have been arrested on several counts of sexual assault of a minor, the Sun Sentinel reports. Darrell Allen Evans, 40, and Huy Kien Trinh, 32, met a 16-year-old male using the gay mobile dating app Grindr. They allegedly had unprotected sex with the minor without revealing their HIV-positive status to him. The police claim that Evans and Trinh confessed to regularly having unprotected sex with other males without disclosing they have the virus. A judge set bail for Evans at $410,000 and for Trinh at $420,000, which neither have posted.

http://www.poz.com/articles/florida_nondisclosure_1_23388.shtml?commentson=yes#pagecomments

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/fl-men-accused-of-hiv-crime-20130117,0,7053658.story

tednlou2:
Curious whether this changes any minds, especially if the boy tests poz.  The age of consent is 18 in FL, which surprises me.  I thought it would be 13. 

Should additional charges be applied, if the boy tests poz?  Or, regardless?  He was not old enough to consent or know the consequences.  It is unclear what all they did.  Was there anal sex?

Just asking questions.   

contagion:
Not to forget you need to be 18 years old to be on the app in the first place.

Miss Philicia:
According to the police reports, these were Trinh's parting words when the boy left his home after their sexcapade: "Don't talk to strangers."

That was after the poppers...

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on January 24, 2013, 05:51:46 PM ---Curious whether this changes any minds, especially if the boy tests poz.  The age of consent is 18 in FL, which surprises me.  I thought it would be 13. 

Should additional charges be applied, if the boy tests poz?  Or, regardless?  He was not old enough to consent or know the consequences.  It is unclear what all they did.  Was there anal sex?

Just asking questions.   

--- End quote ---

It does not change my mind.

The boy was lying about his age, as one has to be 18 to use the app in question. The men had no reason to believe he was underage unless he told them, but that's something that will come out during the trial I imagine.

It might be difficult to prove the source of infection, if the boy indeed tests positive. I suspect that this encounter was not his first time at the Grindr rodeo. Of course the questions of viral loads, medication, and the type of sex involved are also going to be necessary for the trial, as these factors weigh heavily on the possibility of transmission.

I imagine if the boy tests positive, they can test to see if his strain of the virus matches one of the men.

As for the men admitting to having unprotected sex without disclosure on multiple occasions, I do have an opinion on that, obviously. But I do not think my life should be stigmatized in order to "protect" society from these people. Unless they were committing rape, the sex was consensual between adults.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version